Monday, June 15, 2020


Thought for the Day: Let's Be Lifters and Lookers.

Dear Friends
I want to remind you that we can either be the wind beneath someone's wings or the anchor in their boat. Leaders should be both lifters and lookers. We should be Lifters who lighten other's loads and we should be Lookers, always on the lookout for ways to inspire and encourage others.

Mother Teresa once said, "Let no one ever come to you without leaving healthier or happier."   There are far too many people who act like anchors in our boat. They are intent on dragging others down. They possess the attitude that communicates "If I can't be happy, neither should you be happy."

Leaders should be fire lighters, who comes along side of others and help ignite their dreams.  “You can do it,” "I’m with you,” “You can count on me" are some of the words in the vocabulary of the fire lighter.  Every one of us needs firelighters in our lives.  But unfortunately, there are also fire fighters in our lives. These are the people intent on dousing dreams and dampening spirits. The fire fighter pours water on the flames of enthusiasm.  His vocabulary consists of phrases like,  “You can never do it,” “the task is insurmountable,” “you don’t have the resources," "you don’t have the background, or you lack the experience.”  The words of the firefighter will leave you discouraged and  ready to quit.
 
David Mains tells the story of how he and his wife sought to address some behavior issues with their four-year old son Jeremy. He had a habit that they wanted to break, but they were making Iittle progress. They had tried everything until as a final resort they applied physical discipline, spanking. When the conversation was restored, his wife, Karen, asked the chastised little boy, “Jeremy, what are we going to do with you?" Fully contrite, he slowly answered, “Why, don't you just throw me in the garbage.”  " Moody Monthly,", Summer 1982 p. 43.

And you know there are many people in life, who like little Jeremy, feel like they have been thrown into the dumpster.  They don't feel as if anyone cares about them. They feel they are without value, good for nothing except to be cast on the garbage pile.
Several years ago, Anne Murray popularized a song whose lyrics remind me of something we all need:


“I cried a tear, you wiped it dry
I was confused, you cleared my mind
I sold my soul, you bought it back for me
And held me up and gave me dignity
Somehow you needed me
You gave me strength to stand alone again
To face the world out on my own again
You put me high upon a pedestal
So high that I could almost see eternity
You needed me, you needed me


And I can't believe it's you
I can't believe it's true
I needed you and you were there
And I'll never leave, why should I leave?
I'd be a fool 'cause I finally found someone who really cares.”

We all have a need to be needed. We want to know that people care for us. We want them to affirm our value and importance. We want someone who we know truly cares for us and will be there whenever we have an unmet need. We want to know we are of value and that we are important to someone. Blessed is the person who knows he or she is needed and has someone who really cares enough to provide for that need.

Today let's be Lifters of someone's arms, helping to share their heavy load. Let's be Lookers, intentionally seeking out that person who needs someone to inspire and encourage them. If you do, not only will you bless someone but you yourself with be blessed for the greater blessing comes to the one who gives, not to the one who receives.

Yours in faith and friendship,
Pastor Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment