Tuesday, December 1, 2020

Leadership Thought: How Vulnerable Are We Willing to Be?

Dear Friends,

Honesty and accountability seem to be so rare these days. I find myself longing to hear a politician say, "I was wrong," or "I made a mistake." But while we may criticize our leaders for their lack of transparency, how transparent, open, and honest are we. While acknowledging  transparency’s  virtue, we often avoid it ourselves,  choosing instead to hide behind a cloak of secrecy. We expect it from others but not from ourselves.

I remember the words of a leader saying to me when I was discussing a mistake I made, “Don’t ever reveal your soft underbelly or they will take advantage of you." I will never forget those words, for they were so contrary to what I believed and always had tried to practice.

I confess that it is not easy for me to admit when I am wrong. I admire transparency in others, but I sometimes cringe when I have to practice it myself. 

While it can be dangerous to be honest, open and vulnerable,  I believe transparency is a critical quality for authentic leaders to possess. The more open and willing we are to admit our mistakes, the more people will believe us. It is a fact of life.

I don’t learn much from people who appear to have it all together. I learn the most from the fellow struggler who is honest enough to admit to me, “been there, done that, and this is what I learned from my mistake.”

It has been said that a strong leader accepts blame and gives credit, and a weak leader gives blame and accepts credit. In the light of this statement, I would say that King David passes the test of an authentic leader.

When confronted by Nathan, he honestly acknowledged  his adultery with Bathsheba. I am the man. “I have sinned greatly against the Lord” (2 Samuel 12:13). When he failed to follow the advice of his advisors and instead called for a census of the people, only to discover God’s displeasure in doing so, he honestly acknowledges his sin. David was conscious stricken after he had counted the fighting men, and he said to the Lord, “I have sinned greatly in what I have done. Now, O Lord, I beg you, take away the guilt of your servant. I have done a very foolish thing” (2 Samuel 24:10).

If we are to be a good team member, we will need to be open with others on the team. They will always need to know our hearts.

It has been well said that being “humble involves the willingness to be reckoned a failure in everyone’s sight but Gods.”

I hope I can be that humble, and I know you do to.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment