Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Leadership Thought: My Dad, the Viet Nam War, and my Tribute to Him and to All Those Who Have Faithfully Served Our Country.

Dear Friends, 

Happy Memorial Day

Having had a dad who was a retired colonel in the army, and having grown up in Watertown, NY, only 10 miles from Fort Drum, the home of 40,000 men and women and dependents, who are stationed there as a part of  the 10th Mountain Division, I have a great appreciation for those serving in our military.  A good number of my high school and college friends fought in Viet Nam, and while I opposed, and even campaigned against that war, I have always respected those who served.

While in the military my dad was in charge of security for the Oak Ridge, Tenn. project where the atomic bomb was being built. Like a lot of those who worked there he probably had little  idea of the magnitude of destruction that this bomb would cause. 

At the time of the Viet Nam War, my dad and I became estranged. I was opposed to the war and even campaigned against it, and I am sure as a military veteran it was hard, and even embarrassing for him to have a son who was actively engaged in opposing the Viet Nam war.  I loved and respected my dad for his military service, but unfortunately my opposition to the Viet Nam war significantly impacted our relationship, and following it our time together was very limited.  As a result I never got to know much about my dad and his past and in particular his time at Oak Ridge where he got to personally know men like Robert Oppenheimer and many of the other scientists and physicists who were instrumental in the creation of the bomb. This is one of my life's greatest regrets.

On this Memorial Day I share these thoughts out of respect for my dad and for all of those military veterans who have fought and served to  help preserve peace both at home and around the world. I am sad that my dad and I never had a chance to reconcile our military differences before he died, and I live with the great regret of never having known some of the very significant accomplishments of his life, both in and after his military service. Dad, I love you, and I am grateful for your love for your country and your service to our nation.

The video below is shared as a tribute to you and to others like you who have served our country so faithfully. 

See this Video at http://worriersanonymous.org/Share/Mansions.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment