Monday, October 11, 2021

Leadership Thought: The Day Some Valentines Changed the Course of My Ministry.

Dear Friends

This Sunday our pastors were surprised when we were called us up front during the service to receive special recognition.  I guess October is Pastor Appreciation Month. I don't know who first suggested this special day. Maybe it was some pastor who was going through a tough time and who himself was badly in need of some encouragement. In any event, I am grateful for the day for who doesn't like to be appreciated? 

The word appreciate means to raise in value, and this is just what encouragement does; it raises the value of the person receiving it. But it also has significant benefits for the person giving it. The writer of Proverbs reminds us that "He who is generous prospers, and whoever refreshes others will be refreshed."

Encouragement is oxygen to the soul. We can't live very long without it. Someone remarked, encouragement is biodegradable; it has a short shelf life, for as soon as we receive it, we quickly need another dose. 

Everyone loves an encourager. "Flatter me and I may not believe you. Criticize me and I may not like you. Ignore me and I may never forgive you. But encourage me, and I will never forget you.

I often think back to one day when encouragement changed my life and my ministry. I had been pastoring in Greenville, Pa for four years, and suddenly I found myself looking discouragement square in the eye. I was tired, discouraged, and feeling like I had not accomplished all that I had set out to do. I began asking myself if I was really the one who was best prepared to lead the church, and I seriously began thinking it might be time to look for a new challenge. 

I guess I wasn't very good about hiding my feelings for somehow word got out to the congregation, and sensing my discouragement, they performed one of the greatest acts of encouragement I have ever received. It was shortly before Valentine's Day when my mailbox began filling up. They were love letters from the congregation dressed up as Valentines. Someone had orchestrated a love letter writing campaign, and for the next few weeks my mailbox was brimming full of letters written by different members of the congregation. They were letters of encouragement. They were filled with gratitude and appreciation for me and my ministry. They screamed, "Tom, we love you."  

Those Valentine love letters, overflowing with gratitude and appreciation kept me in Greenville for another three years, a time that proved to be one of the most productive periods of any ministry I have enjoyed. And to this day those 'love letters" continue to remain as some of my most valuable deposits in my bank account of memories.

I wonder how many people quit to soon because no one ever came along to encourage them.

Why not take some time today to write or call someone who might just need a little dose of encouragement? Like those loving Greenville folks, you just might change the course of someone's life, and what could be more exciting ort more rewarding than that?

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment