Wednesday, January 29, 2020


New Monmouth Musings: The Day I Told My Garbage Collectors I loved Them.

Dear Friends,

This week I had the opportunity to have breakfast with Jason Sena, one of our church members and a recently elected member of the Shrewsbury Town Council.  During our discussion, I commented to him how impressed I was with the rapidity with which our town’s garbage workers tended to their work. They jump off their trucks and literally run to collect and dump the barrels. “What a work ethic they possess,” I said to Jason, “and how impressed I am with the seriousness they display in completing their work.”

Just yesterday as I was looking out my window, I saw Jean give these same garbage collectors a 'high five' as they came by to pick up our garbage. Why the high five? She was simply thanking them because they not only hurriedly picked up and returned the barrels to the curb, but they went one step further, and personally delivered them all the way back to our garage.

A while later while on my walk, I caught up with them, and I told them how much I appreciated their efforts, and especially the extra time they took to deliver our barrels all the way to their garage. “Oh,” they said, “you saw that woman who high fived us.” “I sure did,”  I said, “she was my wife.” I then assured them of how much she appreciated their kindness.

I think I stunned the two workers with my opening remark when I yelled out “I love you guys.” I am not sure that they had ever heard those kinds of words spoken to them during their service. They were so grateful for my comments, and they couldn’t thank me enough. I told them I was going to write a letter on their behalf and inform the town counsel of how impressed I was with their attitude and work ethic. Their last words to me were, “I don’t think anyone from the Town Council has ever thanked us for the work we do.”

Hopefully they were blessed and encouraged by my words. I know their response blessed and encouraged me, and for the rest of my walk I picked up every stray barrel I saw lying in the road and transported it back to the curb where it belonged.

All of this reminded me of how significant a few words of appreciation can be when it comes to encouraging others. It has been said, “Kind words are short and easy to speak and their echoes are endless,” and how true this is.

I am sure each one of us can remember the words of a pastor, coach, teacher or perhaps even some stranger whose words of encouragement impacted our life.

Paul reminds us that we are “to encourage one another and build one another up, just as in fact you are doing” (1 Thess. 5:11), and that is good advice. The writer of Proverbs expresses how beautiful the right words can be when delivered at just the right time. They are like “apples of gold in a setting of silver” (Proverbs 25:11). 

Why not find someone who would be encouraged by your words, and let them know how much you appreciate them. They will be glad you did, and so will you.

And now for the rest of the story. If you have read thus far, I have something for you to do, and I have a special gift to offer you for doing it. We are not sure who, if anyone, is taking the time to read these weekly devotionals, and so we wanted to do a little survey. This is only between you and me, so please don’t spill the beans. Would you simply send your response to me with the words, ”I read it” and your name? This will ensure you receive that special gift. Remember “mum’s the word.” Just respond to me “I read it” and sign your name. Thanks.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Pastor Tom

P.S. I may make this offer available for the next couple of weeks in the same secretive way, so please don’t share with anyone. I would hate to have you lose your reward!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment