Wednesday, July 29, 2020


Leadership Thought: Start Now in the "Write" Direction.

Dear Friends,

Another letter in my church mail slot, but this one was different. Not some generic information about some new book I must read to revolutionize my ministry, or some information about a conference every pastor must attend. No, this letter was different. It came from a student I had taught several years ago at Calvary Christian School in Old Bridge. Mike was one of those who sat in the middle right of my Spiritual Leadership Class, and to my surprise he had taken the time to share his appreciation for the lessons he had learned in class.

In a handwritten note,  he writes "The class was very foundational for me and I still find myself thinking about those lessons from time to time. In fact, I have since re read the 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership (by John Maxwell) and shared it with my friends along the way at college who also found it very helpful. Whether the lesson of the Messiah is among you, or always trying to be an attentive listener, or that great adage  people don't care how much you know until they know how much you care, I continually find myself reflecting on how I can implement those lessons into my daily life....So I just wanted to thank you for those lessons and for the encouragement you provided me and encourage you in whatever life is bringing your way these days. I hope all is well with you and your family. God bless, Mike Giammarino."

Wow, you don't think a letter like that adds value to your life! Handwritten notes of encouragement are in short supply these days, but when they arrive, we ought to frame them and hang them in some place special where they serve as a daily reminder that our life has made a difference.

One of my favorite pastors is David Jeremiah and in  The Joy of Encouragement  he titles one of his chapters "The Write Way to Encourage" and he concludes the chapter with this exhortation, "Start now on the write direction." Good advice for all of us who are interested in making a positive difference in people's lives.

I often carry a well-worn, well-marked bible with me wherever I go. The bible was given to me over 20 years ago by a Scott Harrigan, a college student who sat in the pews of a church I once pastored. That bible means a lot to me, and I would be devastated to lose it. However, the reason the loss would be so profound is not because I couldn't find another one, for I probably have 20 other bibles lying around my house or office. What makes my bible so special is what's packed inside the front cover. It is here that I access  large supplies of encouragement found in a valued collection of handwritten letters that scream "I love you and you are  making a difference in my life." This treasure trove of encouragement" comes from the  notes of friends and family alike, and they are a continual reminder that when things are tough and I may be discouraged, I still have a multitude of friends that walk with me wherever I go.

Thanks Mike. I wanted you to know that you just became another one of my friends I carry with me.

Is there someone you need to write today, a person who would appreciate knowing that you were thinking of them? Why not drop them a note and let them know how much they have meant to you. I am going to do it, and I hope you will too.

Yours in faith and friendship,
Pastor Tom

P.S. And if you are not sure how to begin that love letter to a friend, just flip open your bible to Romans 1:8-9 and you will read a perfect model. I bet anyone who received a letter like that would carry it with him/her  wherever he/she might go.

(The above Leadership Thought was previously shared in another format)

No comments:

Post a Comment