Monday, May 20, 2024

Leadership Thought: Don't Let the Old Man in

Dear Friends,

One of my favorite country singers is Toby Keith. I first heard him sing "I Should Have  Been a Cowboy" a number of years ago which became one of my all-time favorite country songs.

Toby, who was one of the great country music artists, recently passed away  on February 5th, 2024, after a valiant battle with stomach cancer.

In 2019 Keith wrote and recorded "Don't Let the Old Man In" which was inspired by a meeting with Clint Eastwood. 

The two shared a golf cart at Eastwood's golf tournament in California, and the Oscar  winning director mentioned he was leaving the next day for a three- month shoot to make the movie called "The Mule." 

"How do you do it, man?" Keith asked.

"I just don't let the old man in," Eastwood (now, 95 years old) responded.

From there, Keith got to writing. After hearing the song, Eastwood wound up putting the song in his movie.

"Don't Let the Old Man In" is a song about how time comes for all of us, but we can't let it get to us. It's another way of saying we all should live life to the fullest while we're here. Information taken from the internet

[Verse 1]

Don't let the old man in, I wanna live me some more
Can't leave it up to him, he's knocking on my door
And I knew all of my life, that someday it would end
Get up and go outside, don't let the old man in
[Chorus]
Many moons I have lived
My body's weathered and worn
Ask yourself how old would you be
If you didn't know the day you were born
[Verse 2]
Try to love on your wife
And stay close to your friends
Toast each sundown with wine
Don't let the old man in
[Chorus]
Many moons I have lived
My body's weathered and worn
Ask yourself how old would you be
If you didn't know the day you were born
[Verse 3]
When he rides up on his horse
And you feel that cold bitter wind
Look out your window and smile
Don't let the old man in

Tomorrow I will preside at the funeral of an 87-year-old member of our church, and if I could sing, I would sing Toby Keith's song at the service for it would be a fitting tribute to my friend Ruth Donnelly.

Ruth  lived life well, and even in the midst of numerous hospital visits and difficult physical challenges, she never lost her joy nor hid her smile.  

And as I stood beside her hospital bed while talking with her about her funeral service, she manifested the joy and confidence of one who was unafraid of death, for she knew where she was going. 

For 87 years she had lived her life to the fullest-she had kept the old man out- and now she was ready to go home, and she was confidently looking forward to her new life with Jesus and with all those waiting to welcome her.

It has been said that only Christians can smile at death, and if I know Ruth she is smiling today in a way that she has never smiled before. 

Thanks be to God who gives us the victory.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

P.S. Click on the link below should you wish to hear the song

Toby Keith - Don't Let the Old Man In

YouTube · TobyKeithVEVO

971.4K+ views · 3 years ago

No comments:

Post a Comment