Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Leadership Thought: A Recent Church Newsletter from Alan Kahn on the Power of Letter Writing 

Dear Friends

I love writing and receiving personal letters.

Before dealing with neuropathy which has impacted my fingers and my ability to grasp a pen, I used to regularly set aside time each week to write personal notes to people. However, I stopped this endeavor when I got a phone call from a friend, who said, "Tom. thanks for your recent letter, but do you mind telling me what you said."

Although I still do write a few personal letters, they are a lot fewer and shorter now. Now, most of my notes are typewritten, computer-generated e-mails which are not quite the same as a personal handwritten note.

Personal letters have significantly impacted my life. In fact, it was a personal handwritten letter from a pastor named Sam Tatem that resulted in my decision to attend seminary when I had planned on pursuing a career in teaching and coaching.

Just this week I received a newsletter from Alan Kahn, a friend of mine who is a church planter in Brooklyn, New York. Alan shared a story in his church newsletter that caught my attention. It once again reminded me of the power of  handwritten notes.

"I went to see Richard Dawkins, maybe the most famous atheist in the world, speak at an event held in Brooklyn."

"Dawkins, who wrote the anger-filled book The God Delusion after 9/11, has been known as an inflammatory and outspoken critic of Christianity."

"One of his atheist colleagues: Ayaan Hirsi Ali, also an outspoken critic of Christianity, actually became a believer this past fall."

"Times certainly have changed, and although Dawkins still isn't a believer, he was willing to concede many beautiful things about Christianity."

"What was really intriguing to me was a comment Ayaan Hirsi Ali made:"

"As someone who was abused growing up in a radical Islamic culture, she received many death threats as she left the religion and began to speak against it. She would have 6 bodyguards follow her in order to shield her from attacks. However, she mentioned she never feared Christians because they wrote letters to her. And specifically, the Christians wrote powerful letters that said they were praying for her."

Today I still have Sam Tatem's letter in an old Bible that has become a personal repository of especially meaningful or memorable letters I've received. 

Sam had read a newspaper article about our college Fellowship of Christian Athletes group which spent weekends sharing our faith in children's and senior citizen's homes

Seeing the article on our ministry in his local newspaper, he decided to write and thank me for what we were doing. His letter was such an encouragement to me that I wrote back to thank him, and this exchange commenced a two-year period of letter writing between the two of us who never personally met.

In one of those many letters we exchanged; Sam encouraged me to think about attending seminary following my college graduation. This retired 85-year-old pastor whom I knew only through his letters, played a significant role in leading me along the pathway to my future ministry. 

Without his letter would I have entered seminary instead of teaching and coaching, I don't know, but I do know his encouragement had a profound impact on my decision and my vocational direction, and for that I will forever be grateful 

Alan closed his newsletter with these words: "Never dismiss the day of small things and the impact that you can make by being faithful to follow the still small voice of the Holy Spirit, prompting you to act" (perhaps writing some small letter of encouragement). 

"Who knows the impact we could have on souls from one such simple act of obedience?

Yours in faith,

Tom

P.S. Sadly Sam Tatem and I never got to meet personally. Three months before I graduated and before I could visit him on my way home following graduation, the Lord took  Sam home.

No comments:

Post a Comment