Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Leadership thought: A Confession of Failure from the Producer of Leadership Thoughts

Dear Friends,

I still remember the words written after my picture in our senior high school yearbook. "Our Tom tries to do the best at whatever he does." Sadly, those words have not always been true.

Those of you who receive these Leadership Thoughts know that sometimes there are spelling and grammatical errors, and sometimes you have discovered that the paragraphs are not always properly aligned. I shudder when I discover these mistakes after I have hit the send button. Believe me, it is an awful feeling to realize my communication mistakes, which are many, after sending out something for all to see. 

Sometimes I can attribute my mistakes to haste, as I always try to send out these Leadership Thoughts in a timely fashion. Occasionally the pressure of another early morning commitment causes me to hurry, resulting in producing something that to my chagrin is sent out without being thoroughly reviewed.

I still laugh at the message I recently sent to my children on a recent trip south with my little dog Maggie. I stopped overnight at a Motel Six, and somehow my big fingers on a little I phone keyboard produced a message that still haunts me. I meant to type "Maggie and I are having a wonderful stay at Motel Six," but somehow, I managed to exchange and 'i' for an 'e' in the Six, and suddenly my message went viral!

To put it frankly, I am extremely limited in my computer skills and often accidentally hitting the wrong key may suddenly cause an inadvertent change that I have no idea  how to correct. I often find, however, that if I randomly strike enough keys, I am able to rectify what I accidentally produced without ever discovering how I accomplished it.

I know some of you reading this may be  a part of "The Greatest Generation," so I know you understand what I'm talking about, for you probably have a few embarrassing stories to share resulting from your computer liabilities. 

All of this is to say I am far from the writer I would like to be, and I simply ask for your indulgence when you receive something that causes you to scratch your head and wonder how someone could make such a mistake.

All of this reminded me of two verses of scripture I often affix after my name in closing my letters. 

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for man, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving." (Colossians 3:23-24)

Ugh! It pains me whenever I realize I have violated this exhortation from our brother, Paul.

I say to myself I want to do my best, but I realize I often fall short of doing or giving my best. Sometimes it is carelessness and sometimes it is just plain laziness that results in my giving or doing less than my best.

In his autobiography, Why Not the Best?, President Jimmy Carter tells about an interview he had with Navy Admiral Hyman Rickover. 

The Admiral asked him how he had stood in the class at the Naval Academy.

"I swelled my chest with pride and answered, 'Sir, I stood 59th in a class of 320.'"

"I sat back to wait for the congratulations, but  instead came the question, 'Did you do your best?'"

"I started to say, 'Yes, sir,' but I remembered who this was. I gulped and admitted, 'No, Sir, I didn't always   do my best.'"

"He looked at me for a long time, and then asked one final question, which I have never been able to forget, or to answer. He said, 'Why not?'"

Every one of us who are followers of Jesus should strive to produce excellence in everything we do.

We should never have reason to be ashamed of that which we offer to Him. 

Today, and every day, I hope I can always be counted on to give my best at whatever I do, and that  includes trying to send out a mistake free Leadership Thought.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

P.S. Please refrain from reminding me of any errors you might find in the above material as I'm looking to live just one mistake free day.

No comments:

Post a Comment