Monday, June 10, 2024

Leadership Thought: What Are You Teaching Those Who Walk in Your Footsteps?

Dear Friends.

It has been said that character is who you are when no one else is looking.

Children are especially observant, and they learn from us even when we are not aware of it. That is why it’s so important to recognize wherever we are, and whatever we do, there are little eyes watching and learning from us.

As parents, grandparents, teachers, or coaches, we need to be constantly aware that we are leaving footprints in which others will walk, and we must be vigilant in our efforts to always walk a path that provides a good example.

All this reminds me of a poem I read by Mary Rite Korzan taken from one of my favorite books, Stories for the Heart.

“When you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw you hang my first painting on the refrigerator, and I wanted to paint another one.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw you feed a stray cat, and I thought it was good to be kind to animals.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw you make my favorite cake just for me, and I knew that little things are special things.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I heard you say a prayer, and I believed there is a God I could always talk to.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I saw tears come from your eyes, and I learned that sometimes things hurt, but it’s all right to cry.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I felt you kiss me goodnight, and I felt loved.

When you thought I wasn’t looking, I looked and wanted to say thanks for all the things I saw when you thought I wasn’t looking.”

Children first learn by example, then by explanation.

When the apostle  Paul pastored the church in Corinth, he set a good example for those believers in love, devotion, sacrifice, and service.

Paul writes, “Be followers of me, even as I also am of Christ.”  (1 Corinthians 11:1).

Paul was a good example because he was following the greatest example of all, the Lord Jesus Christ.

How true it is that our actions and our attitudes don’t always belie the fact that we are followers of the Master. Our beliefs are not always consistent with our behavior. Panic or peace, which does the world see in us as we address difficult situations?

 A veteran pastor once said, “The reason the world does not know Jesus better is because it knows us too well.” That hurts to hear, but I’m afraid that it is more true than we would like to admit

Paul exhorts us in Philippians 3:17 “Join with  others in following my example, brothers and take note of those who live according to the pattern we gave you.”

It was Albert Schweitzer who said, “Example is not the main thing in influencing others- it’s is the only thing."

And finally, don’t ever forget that “More depends on your walk than your talk." D. L. Moody.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

(Adapted from a Message given to teachers at Calvary
Chapel in  Fort Lauderdale)

No comments:

Post a Comment