Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Leadership Thought: The Great Debate Between Calvinism and Arminianism

Dear Friends,

The great debate persists. Are You a Calvinist or an Arminian?

A couple of weeks ago I had lunch with an old friend I knew from my Calvary Chapel days in Fort Lauderdale. He was in a church he loved, led by a pastor he felt especially close to. His pastor asked him to consider becoming an elder and presented him with a form to fill out expressing his theological beliefs. In filling out the form, my friend realized his theological views were very different from those held by the church and his pastor.

His pastor was an ardent Calvinist and my friend, coming out of a Calvary Chapel church, was Arminian in his theology, and because of that theological difference my friend was told he would not be able to pursue eldership in the church.

My friend is now struggling with whether he should continue attending a church he has grown to love, but one in which he has some theological differences. 

I too have personally  experienced the theological divide that can exist in some churches over this issue. 

Having been raised Presbyterian (strongly Calvinistic in its theology), and then spending  twelve years in two Calvary Chapel churches, both of which were Arminian in their theology, I have experienced how theological views can often impact how you are perceived. 

Before attending Calvary Chapel Fort Lauderdale, I spent four years at Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church, also in Fort Lauderdale, where the pastor was Dr. D. James Kennedy, one of the best-known Calvinist pastors in the country.

When I left that church to join Calvary Chapel, there were some at Coral Ridge who questioned not only my theology but sadly, even my relationship with Jesus. 

They asked me how I could leave Coral Ridge, a flagship Calvinistic church in the Presbyterian denomination to attend Calvary Chapel, a non-denominational church that was so Arminian in its theology.

I don't have time to discuss all the major differences between Calvinism and Arminianism but suffice to say that Calvinism emphasizes the complete depravity of man and the sovereignty of God to choose some who are 'elected' to salvation while rejecting others who are not, while Arminianism emphasizes the free will of man to choose whether to accept or reject God's gracious gift of salvation. 

Unfortunately, the differing theological views have often divided churches and believers.

This issue has and will continue to be strongly debated, and there are plenty of  Scriptural verses to support both positions.

In the Calvinism Arminian debate, I don't care on which side of the theological fence you stand, but what I do care about is whether your stance is drawing you closer to Jesus, and whether your views are separating you from other brothers and sisters who hold a differing point of view. I would ask is your primary aim as a believer to be a militant converter of others to your theology or are you more concerned about leading them to Jesus.

To say that John MacArthur, A.W. Pink, J. I. Packer, George Whitfield, the Puritans, are heretics because they adhere to Calvinism is unbiblical. 

Or to say that John Wesley, Francis Schaeffer, Josh McDowell, Billy Graham, are heretics because they adhere to Arminianism is also unbiblical.  

All of these men would agree with the essentials of the faith, and I am sure that none of them would ever say that those with whom they might disagree were not born again. 

If such great theologians and men of God can love one another and find unity despite their theological differences, then so should we.

One day when we get to heaven we will discover the final answer to this centuries old theological debate, but until then that's not use their teachings to fuel arguments that will only divide us from one another.

Let us practice what Rupertus Meldenius, a 16th century German philosopher has written: "In essentials unity, in non-essential liberty, in all things charity.

Yours in faith, 

Tom Crenshaw

No comments:

Post a Comment