Friday, August 28, 2020

Leadership Thought: A Quick Way to Share Your Faith.

Dear Friends

In the early 1970’s while I was pastoring in Philadelphia Pa., I attended one of the most valuable seminars I have ever taken. It was held in Fort Lauderdale, Fl. where 30 years I would later pastor, it was there that I spent a week learning how to share my faith while attending the Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church. The program was called Evangelism Explosion, and it not only impacted my life, but it impacted the life of my church in Philadelphia, where I taught our members how to go into our community and share their faith while witnessing to others.

I still use parts of what I learned in sharing my faith today. The program was predicated on two introductory questions that I would ask people. The first is “Have you come to the place in your spiritual life where you know for certain if you were to die today, you would go to heaven?” And a second follow up question was “Suppose you were to die today, and God were to say to you why should I let you into heaven, what would you say?” The first question helps you know what they believe about heaven, and the second question informs you of what they believe is needed to get there. More often than not, the answer to the second question would be a series of “I” statements. I go to church, I pray, I do good things, I. I, I………. All such answers generally indicate that the person I am witnessing to is depending on the things they have done to earn their way into heaven. At that point, I will sometimes say, “I thought I might have some good news for you when I asked those first two questions, but hearing your response I know I really have some of the greatest good news you will ever hear. Would you mind if I took a few moments to share that news with you”? 

I always ask permission to share with them to determine their willingness and interest, as I don’t want to force my faith on someone who is openly resistant.

I then quote Ephesians 2:8-9, or if I have a Bible with me, I will open it up and ask them to read aloud the passage themselves. “It is by grace you have been saved through faith- and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-not by works, so that no one can boast.”

Most people believe that it is their good works that will get them into heaven when in reality your good works, no matter how good they are, can never save you. These two verses make it clear that your salvation is not by your own works or efforts but only  by God's grace (God’s Riches at Christ’s Expense). That expense was Christ’s death, and it is the only good work that will save you. It is only your faith, (your trust in Christ alone) that will save you, “for all your good works are simply dirty rags” (Is. 64:6). Then I will turn to Romans 3:23, “All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God” and then to Romans 6:23, “The wages of sin is death, but the (free) gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” I also will have them look at Romans 3:10, Rom. 5:8 and Romans 10:9.

Obviously, time does not allow me to do justice to a complete presentation of the gospel, but hopefully this will help you get started on the path to sharing your faith.

If you are interested in learning more, let me know and if there is enough of a response, I will lead a class on “Sharing Your Faith” this fall at New Monmouth.

I close by adding this: There is no greater joy in life that one can receive than being used to lead someone to Christ.

For more information I suggest you google “Have You Heard of the Four Spiritual Laws,” and you will find one of the most effective tracts ever produced for sharing the plan of salvation.”

Have a great weekend,

Yours in faith and friendship,
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment