Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Leadership Thought : A Bent Nail, a Knot of Wood, and a Celebration of My Wife's Birthday

Dear Friends,

A friend handed it to me at a recent men's breakfast. It was a simple gift-a knot of wood with a bent nail protruding from its center. 

I looked at it quizzically, and then my friend asked, "Don't you remember the story?"

And then it suddenly dawned on me. A week earlier he had responded to one of my Leadership Thoughts with the following story.

It was the story once passed on to him of the "Nail Straightener."

Construction workers were putting up a new building in a poor area, and a very old member of the town wanted to help in the construction. 

The builders gave him a place to sit, a rock and a hammer, and if a nail got bent by a worker, they would send it to his workstation.

Because nails were too expensive to throw away, the man would straighten the nails, and they then would be brought back to the builders to be used again. 

The man felt valued in playing a small part in the building's construction.

My friend said to me, "I am always looking for small things to do in the church. It may not be much, but it's one less thing that someone else has to do."

He told me, "Whenever I get a thank you for doing something small, I always take the opportunity to tell them this story, for it is a wonderful reminder of how significant little things can mean to the recipient." 

Today I am staring at his little non-descript gift of  wood containing a simple bent nail, and I am reminded of the fact that little things do mean a lot.

And later on that morning, after the breakfast was complete, I witnessed my gift giving friend going around collecting the dirty plates from the table, a small and menial act of service, but not small in the eyes of this friend and certainly not small in the eyes of our Creator.

I treasure this little gift from my friend, and as I lay awake last night wondering what I would write about this morning, my mind recalled a 'sacred' dinner I had just enjoyed.

You see yesterday was a hard day for those of us in the Crenshaw family who are still grieving the loss of my wife and our mother. 

It was Jean's birthday, and birthdays and anniversaries have a way of accentuating the pain experienced in one's grief journey.

To remember and celebrate Jean's birthday, two of my daughters had planned a take home dinner from the Olive Garden, one of Jean's favorite family places to eat. 

There were white daisies on the table, Jean's favorite flower. There was Stewart's root beer and lemonade on hand, two of Jean's favorite choices of refreshment. There was an apple pie, her favorite dessert delivered by a family in-law. These were all small and simple but thoughtful and touching expressions of love for one whom we all miss so very much.

And then there were phone calls from neighbors in western Pa. where we served, texts and e-mails from friends in former churches in New Jersey and Fort Lauderdale, and a gift from our next-door neighbors.

All the above expressions of love were little things in themselves, but not little or insignificant to a family going through the painful  loss of our precious wife and mother.

My heart was filled with gratitude as I experienced these small but simple expressions of love that meant so much to me and my family.

Yes, little things do mean a lot.

Charles Simmons said it best: "True greatness consists in being great in little things."

I hope you and I will never forget the significance of that bent nail and knot of wood, and how important little expressions of love can be to the one who receives them.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment