Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Leadership Thought: The Day I Lied and Got Caught and the Lesson I Learned

Dear Friends,

It has been said that ‘Things come apart so easily when they've been held together by lies or deceit.”

I learned that lesson early on in my ministry. I was teaching and coaching at a military prep school in Syracuse, N.Y. that was struggling financially. We were being taken over by another school and each member of our faculty was to be evaluated by a faculty member of from the takeover school, and that interview would determine if we would be retained when the schools merged. 

Each teacher's fate was to be decided by a 45-minute classroom evaluation by some unknown teacher from the takeover school, and as you might imagine our faculty members, some who had been teaching there for over 40 years, were none too happy. Morale at our school was at an all-time low as one by one each teacher went through a  forty-five-minute classroom evaluation and then learned their fate.

Each member of our faculty would then individually meet with Dr. Barder, the  new headmaster of the merged schools to learn whether they would be retained.

Many of my friends had  gone through the evaluation, and some had already been informed they would not be retained. I had been evaluated, and I was about to meet with Dr. Barder to determine my fate. Although I had no idea what my outcome would be, I was determined to take things into my own hands by trying to manipulate the process.

Before my meeting with the headmaster, I wrote a personal letter of resignation, and my plan was to place that letter in his  mailbox before I entered his office. If during the interview, I learned I was about to be dismissed, I would simply refer to my letter of resignation that I had just placed in his box and walk away with the satisfaction that I had resigned before I could be fired. However, if I discovered I was to be retained, my intention was to grab my letter from his mailbox on my way out of his office, and no one would ever know it had been written.

Unfortunately, my plan of deception backfired, for in the midst of my meeting, the headmaster’s secretary walked into the office and placed my letter of resignation in the hands. Dr. Barder quickly read my resignation letter, and with a sly smile on his face, he said: “Mr. Crenshaw, it looks like you have already decided that you no longer wish to be a part of our new faculty. Good luck. I wish you well. Have a great day.”

That was the quick end to an embarrassing conversation. 

I was stunned and left speechless. I had been caught red handed. My devious efforts to manipulate the process had backfired and done me in. I walked out of the headmaster’s office embarrassed and wondering how I could have ever done something so stupid, and yes, so sinful.

Although I never did discover whether I was to be dismissed or retained as a member of the new school faculty, I did learn a valuable lesson. I learned that as believers we “must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to your neighbors’ (Ephesians 4:25).

A lie is a statement of fact that is designed to deceive. All deceit is lying, and all lying is sin, and God hates sin.

Whenever we speak the truth, the Spirit of God is a work, but whenever we tell a lie or seek to deceive, Satan goes to work. 

Lying is a dangerous sin. The first sin of judgment in the early church was the sin of lying when Ananias and Sapphira lied to the church about their financial transactions, and those lies cost them their lives. (Acts 5).

So let us all be careful to put away all lying and deceit, remembering that falsehood is sin. It stifles unity; truth strengthens it.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

P.S. “Lies are like scars to the soul. They destroy you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment