Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Leadership Thought: Something to Strive for on  Martin Luther King Day

Dear Friends

I still remember those words of a friend of mine. "I believe you are the man for this church." 

Spoken in 1972 by Dick Armstrong, who was the interim pastor of a church in Philadelphia Pa., those words forever changed my life.

Dick was the vice president of Princeton Seminary and a friend of mine whom I had come to know through seminary and through our mutual involvement in the Fellowship of Christian Athletes.

He was the interim pastor of an inner-city church in Philadelphia, Pa. 

After having asked me twice about exploring the pastorate at the Cedar Park Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia where he was temporarily serving and having previously said no on both occasions, I finally said yes, and that decision radically changed my life and my ministry.

At 28 and with no previous experience in urban ministry, let alone inter racial ministry I found myself pastoring an inner-city church in the midst of a predominately black community besieged by white flight. 

In five years, the community had gone from 90 percent white to 85 percent black, and many of those white members had fled to suburban churches.

How could we keep our white members from leaving while encouraging our black brothers and sisters to start coming? 

God gave me a plan for what we needed to do and what an integrated church might look like. I believed the way to get the community into the church was to get the church into the community, and so for seven years we did just that. We offered everything we could to serve our community. 

Any program that we thought might benefit the neighborhood, we sought to offer it, and slowly we watched our church reach our predominate black community while at the same time attracting white members from suburban communities who desired to be a part of an integrated church.

As a result of our God's direction and our church's efforts, Cedar Park became one of the few fully integrated churches in the city of Philadelphia. As a result, our members had the opportunity to share their story and provide hope to other churches going through racial transition.

Seven years later I said a tearful goodbye to those friends in the most exciting church I had ever pastored, but I could never forget them and the ministry we fashioned and created together with God's gracious direction. 

Whenever I reflect on that ministry that Jean and I and our family enjoyed in the decade of the 70's, I am eternally grateful for saying yes to my friend Dick Armstrong's encouragement.

Never have I learned as much about myself and about ministry as I did those seven challenging but transformative years.  To this day I remain forever grateful for the incredible experience of working with and learning from so many of my black brothers and sisters.

On this Martin Luther King Day, I think of Dr. King's words: "People fail to get along because they fear each other; they fear each other because they don't know each other; they don't know each other because they have not communicated with each other."

Dr. King was right. We can't love each other without first getting to know each other. The racial divide in our country grows wider and deeper, and it breaks my heart.

Whenever I think of  those years ministering alongside my black brothers and sisters, some of whom are still living and with whom I  stay in touch to this day, I continue to be grateful  for their love and friendship.

I thank God for knowing those dear friends and learning from them. I am grateful that they helped me overcome my fears, my distrust, and my hidden and deep-seated prejudices of which I was unaware.

We may look different on the outside, but on the inside all of us possess hearts that  long for the same things: acceptance, understanding, forgiveness, and reconciliation. 

In a world today that is torn apart by polarized views, each one of us must dig deeper to find the common humanity and aspirations each of us holds.

We need to listen to one another and learn from each other. We need to care for one another and work together to break down those dividing walls of hostility that Jesus died to destroy.

It won't be easy, for as Dr. King once said, "Change does not roll in on the wheels of inevitability but comes through continuous struggle." 

Let each of us deliberately choose to join that struggle and what better day to start than today?

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

P.S. Some words of Dr. King to remember:

"Forgiveness is not an occasional act; it is a permanent attitude. "

"Let. no man pull you so low. as to hate him."

"Hatred paralyzes life; love releases it. Hatred confuses life; love harmonizes it. Hatred darkens life; love illuminates it." 

"Life's most persistent and urgent question is what you are you doing for others."

No comments:

Post a Comment