Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Leadership Thought: The Day I Quit and Embarrassed Myself.

Dear Friends,

I was disappointed with myself. I had received an e-mail from an organization that I was involved in telling me I had to stop talking about an issue within our organization that I felt was very important to our operational wellbeing.  

Acting out of frustration, my knee jerk reaction was to resign from the organization-a more accurate use of the word would be- quit! I had grown tired of trying to change people's minds about an issue I felt was important, and so my solution to the problem was to quit.

Quitting was out of character for me. I had always quoted to teams I had coached "Winners never quit and quitters never win." 

I don't know who originated that statement, but I am fully aware that I am not the only coach who has ever uttered those universal words that I now had chosen to ignore.

A conversation I had with a friend, combined with the realization that I had just done something that was so out of character for me-quitting- led me to ask that my letter of resignation be rescinded. I am happy to say that my wish was granted, and I was reinstated.

Admitting I had been wrong in acting as I did  was embarrassing, but in retrospect I realized if I felt strongly enough about an issue, I needed to continue to fight for the cause I believed was right. 

No game is ever won by those sitting in the stands, but only by those on the field who are doing everything within their power to win the game, regardless of the odds against them. 

Even if I was the only one who felt the way I did, I knew quitting was wrong. I recognized  I needed to remain a part of the organization and continue to make my feelings known and fight to convince others of what I knew was right.

It is not easy as one of the few standing up for something that in your heart you know is right, but it is a lot harder living your life knowing you have given in and given up to your detractors. 

Even if you are the only one who feels the way you do, hold on to what you believe in, and regardless of the odds, continue to fight for your beliefs. Be committed to go the distance.

Robert Strauss defined success as "A little like wrestling a gorilla. "You don't quit wrestling when you are tired, but when the gorilla is tired."

Legendary Army football coach Earl Blaick was once asked why his practices were so hard. He reportedly responded, "Because you don't develop strong teeth by eating mush."

I am sure there were times when Jesus thought about throwing in the towel. But he was faithful in fulfilling his calling, and in doing so he made a gigantic difference in your life and in mine. 

His decision, however, was not without consequence for it was his beliefs that led him to the Cross, but aren't you glad he didn't quit?

If you and I are to be a difference maker in our family, work, school, or church, we may have to wrestle that gorilla until he gives up. We must not settle, or rest, or take the easy, because if we do, we might find ourselves in danger.

I close with the words of our brother, Paul, who said, "Let's not get tired of doing what is good. 

At just the right time, we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don't give up." (Galatians 6: 9.  NLT) 

Remember,  "It is always too soon to quit."

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment