Monday, April 1, 2024

Leadership Thought: Follow up to "It's Friday but Sunday's 'Comin,'" or Be Careful Who You Invite to Fill Your Pulpit-It Might Be Tony Campolo

Dear Friends,

I have received a lot of comments from my recent Leadership Thought in which I shared the poem,  "It's Friday but Sunday is Comin." 

Lo and behold, one of my readers and one of our church elders who was speaking at our Good Friday service even used it to close out his message.

A number of years ago, author, professor, and nationally known speaker Tony Campolo, shared a rendition of this poem in a message that continues to be heard all over the Christian world. 

Tony, who joined us several times when I was pastoring in Red Bank, N.J., was one of the most unforgettable preachers you will ever hear. When he preaches you either clap or throw rocks, for he has a way of stirring up your emotions.

I will never forget the first time he spoke at our church, a church that was fairly affluent and whose parking lot was generally filled with its share of Mercedes Benz's, and other high end luxury cars.  

Tony looked out at our congregation and asked this question: "If Jesus lived in Haiti and had $40,000 to spend, would he spend it on the purchase of a Mercedes Benz?" 

Some members laughed and others started looking for the nearest exit.

I still remember thinking to myself this may be my last day at this church's pastor.

People in that church still talk about the message, at least those who stayed!

Tony, who has been battling health issues of late, is no longer able to preach, but when he was in the pulpit, he was one of the most stirring and effective communicators one would ever hear.

I still remember the message on discipleship he shared many years ago at a summer  Creation Festival I attended in central  Pennsylvania. It was a message that transformed my life and my ministry, and I will forever be indebted to him for that message.

You will seldom, if ever, hear a more humorous, and more powerful rendition of this poem, so take a couple minutes to listen, and hang on to your seat for what you will hear will leave you saying, "Wow, I never heard anything like that before from any pulpit." 

That's Tony, unbridled, unfiltered, and unpoetically sold out to Jesus. Don't miss what he shares below.

Yours in faith and friendship.

Tom

www.youtube.com › watch It’s Friday....Sunday's Comin'! - YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment