Monday, April 8, 2024

Leadership Thought That Is Not a Typical Leadership Thought

Dear Friends,

Those who know me know that there are few people who love country music more than I do. Christian music and classic country are almost always emanating from my Alexa playlist or my computer via U Tube selections. 

Today after umpiring a high school baseball game in 40-degree weather, I needed something to thaw me out and warm my heart, so I went to U Tube and typed in "Grand Ole Opry at Carnegie Hall."

My friends, I spent the next hour and a half glued to the computer listening to some of the greatest legends of country music perform on the stage of the historic Carnegie Hall, and with tears streaming down my face, I  listening to the likes of  Alan Jackson singing "Remember When,"  Vince Gill, Rickey Skaggs and Alison Krause singing "Go Rest High on that Mountain," and  Brad Paisley and  Alison singing "Whiskey Lullaby." 

They were all on stage, some of country's greatest: Charlie Pride, Bill Anderson, Trace Atkins, Vince Gill, Martina McBride and Trisha Yearwood to name some of those featured Carnegie Hall performers.

Who said  country music and Carnegie Hall don't have anything in common?

Now I know this is not a  normal Leadership Thought, and I'm aware that this is not a day that I typically send out a message, but I felt like you might be in need of some music that will touch your heart and  keep your lips a 'smilin' and your feet a  'dancin' as you listen to little  Jimmy Dickens sing "May the Bird of Paradise Fly Up Your Nose." Yes, you heard me right-that is the song's title. But  if you want something  a little less satirical go to the end of the concert and listen to all those together on stage singing "Will the Circle Be Unbroken?" You'll be signing along.

Don't tell me Country Music is 'ole' fashioned. if you think that listen to the first song by Trace Atkins, "Songs about Me." 

Am I trying to make you a "classic country music fan? You betcha; there are certainly a lot of worse things you could be fans of.

Hope you have a great weekend. I will be looking forward to tomorrow night and our annual Fellowship of Christian Athletes Annual Fund-Raising Celebration whose featured speaker is  Greg Schiano, head football coach at Rutgers, and a great friend of the F.C.A.  

But as special as that will be, the most exciting part of the night for me will be when my dear wife, Jean, is posthumously recognized and honored with the presentation of an annual  F.C.A. award to be given in her name. 

For those who may not know it, I accepted Jesus as my Savior in 1962 at an FCA Conference in Lake Geneva, Wisc., and together with Jean we have been involved in the ministry of the F.C.A. ministry throughout our 53 years of marriage. It was because of her love and support of the FCA, that the State Chapter of the Fellowship of Christian Athletes created a special award in her honor that will be given annually to a deserving young person. I am so glad that the memory of her will continue to live on through this annual award.

So, as I close, let me encourage you to click on the link below. The only annoying thing about listening to the concert is that you periodically have to click out of advertisements that will interrupt the presentations.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

GRAND OLE OPRY @ CARNEGIE HALL - YouTube

No comments:

Post a Comment