Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Leadership Thought: "Don't Let the Old Man In"

Dear Friends,

For all you who love country music as I do, and who like me are treading on what some might call old age, I wanted to share a message with you in song. The late Toby Keith, one of country music's greatest and who recently passed away from stomach cancer, sang a song that became a hit called "Don't Let the Old Man In."

His good friend Cletus (There is a good old country boy's name) Judd, who helped write Toby's classic he sang with Willie Nelson, "Beer for my Horses" was a good friend of Toby's, and he just wrote a wonderful tribute to his good friend Toby called “I'm Gonna Miss You My Friend."

Friendship is a wonderful gift and anyone that is fortunate to have a number of friends is so blessed.

Last night I returned a call to a good friend I have in Florida who had earlier called me to say hello and check up on me to see how I was doing.

In a few minutes I will be heading for breakfast at Miller's Luncheonette in Long Branch with a couple of good friends I have known for over 50 years. We have been meeting-same time same place for many years- and every Wednesday I look forward to being with them.

My mom used to say the way to have friends is to be a friend, and I hope I have done that-at least I have tried hard to make and keep my friendships.

"Those who passed like ships in the night. 

Who meet for a moment, then sail out of sight 

With never a backward glance of regret;

Folks, we know briefly then quickly forget.

Then there are friends who sail together, 

Through quiet waters and stormy weather

Helping each other through joy and through strife.

And they are the kind who give meaning to life."

Yours in faith and FRIENDSHIP

Tom

Poem taken from Drapers Book of Quotations for the Christian World, Edythe Draper

Toby Keith Don't Let the Old Man In

Cledus Judd Gonna Miss You Old Friend

No comments:

Post a Comment