Monday, March 23, 2020


Leadership Thought: Please Turn Off Your Televisions and Catch the Real News from Dick Haines.

Dear Friends,

Yesterday I received  call from a 92-year-old man in our church. He was checking on people in the church family, and he wanted me to know that he was thinking of me. I thought to myself, “Dick, I should be the one calling and checking up on you.”

I asked him what he was doing with his time, and much to my surprise, he said “I am washing dishes and delivering food to people.”

“Washing dishes where?” I asked. He told me at a restaurant where he was working. Yes, Dick was washing dishes and delivering food for a Mexican restaurant located near his home. I asked him how he got the job, and he said, “ I was just having a cup of coffee with the owner of the  restaurant, and in our conversation I learned that things were tough for him with customers staying home, and so I thought I might be able to give him  hand.”

May Dick’s tribe increase! We need people like Dick Haines in the foot service of our Lord’s army. Always thinking of others, Dick in his other “day job” makes it his point to regularly call and visit our senior saints, drive people to the hospitals in New York City, grocery shops for one of our several shut ins, and yes, finds time to check in on one of his pastors. Of course, this only happens when he is not delivering food or washing dishes for his new understaffed Mexican restaurant friend.

After I hung up the phone, I thought what a blessing to know such servants like Dick. They are the kind of encouragers who keep my own feet moving and my eyes open and looking for opportunities to serve others.

The Bible tell us that we should be encouragers. The Apostle Paul writes, “Encourage one another and all the more as you see the day drawing near” (1 Thess. 5:11).  Dick is doing just that-encouraging others by letting people know he cares about them. And we as believers should be doing the same. He is not wasting his days sitting in front of the television with fingers crossed while fretting and worrying about catching the Coronavirus. He has too many other things to do. The Coronavirus will probably never catch up to him because he’s moving too fast

During this season of our lives when many of us are in “shut down” or “slow down” mode, what a wonderful time to use the internet or the phone to check in with friends, family and neighbors.

Just the other day my three daughters arranged a four-way call with Jean designed  to let her know they cared about and were thinking of her. It was such a change of pace for me to hear them listening and laughing with each other when so many are stressing and stewing over the news. I am not a minimalist. I know we are facing some dangerous and challenging times, and I don’t want to under emphasize the danger that surrounds us, but worry, and anxiety will do nothing to defeat the enemy or make our days better and more enjoyable.

The Psalmist reminds us: “No evil shall befall you, nor shall any plague come near your dwelling; for He shall give His angels charge over you, to keep you in all of your ways.” Psalm 91:10-11

So, my exhortation to you is to press the off button on your remote and get the “real spin,” as you read and listen to the one and only truth that derives from the Word of God.

And yes, after you close the pages of your Bible, which you probably have time to read from cover to cover until the “all clear is sounded,” pick up the phone and call someone, like Dick called me. You will be glad you did, for the quickest way to forget your problems is to think of someone else’s.

Yours in faith and friendship,
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment