Friday, April 24, 2020


Leadership Thought: Aldi Delivers but so Does Jesus.

Dear Friends,

Everyone is eagerly tuned to their televisions looking for good news during this pandemic crisis, and guess what, I finally heard some-not just good news but great news. 

Yesterday Pastor Jared and I were discussing some news about ministry related issues, and at the close of our conversation he sprung it on me. He told me that “Aldi delivers.”  Wow! Can you imagine the excitement that pulsed through my body? Anyone who knows me, knows I have a penchant for food related items, whether the Thai Palace restaurant or Sheetz convenient stores, or Aldi’s grocery stores. Believe it or not I like the place so much that one time I even inquired about working there. Aldi is great place for low cost quality groceries, and yes if you go there don’t leave without purchasing a few pints of “Make Fudge Not War” or “Thank You Cherry Cherry Much” (inside information for Aldi shoppers). 

Yes, good news is a wonderful thing, and we all are anxious to hear it. The president of Sloan-Kettering laboratories once told a medical convention, “My father was  a country doctor. We now know, scientifically speaking, that he didn’t carry a thing in that black bag that would cure anybody. But people got well because he patted them and said, ‘You’re going to make it.’” The encouragement released by the good news heard from the lips of the doctor played a significant part in the bodies amazing power to heal itself. 

I will never forget meeting with my oncologist almost a year and a half ago when he delivered the radiologist’s report that I had stage 3B cancer. I vividly remember hearing those words while sitting in his office with Jean and with my daughters present for support. To say we were all shocked to hear the news would be a vast understatement. 

I clearly remember trying to hide my shock, however, and stoically responding to my doctor, saying “Whatever time I might have left, I want it to be as productive as possible, so tell me what I need to do to fight the battle?” He looked me straight in the eye, and knowing I was no way near as composed as I tried to be, he spoke the words I will never forget.  He said, “Tom, we are not looking to maintain you, we are going for the cure.”  Those words of Dr. Laughinghouse screamed hope, something that I desperately needed at that moment in my life.

Words can bring good news and encouragement for those who  in need of physical healing.  Solomon tells us that  “Words can be like a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones (Prov. 16:24).”

But right words cannot only be spoken to help heal the physical and emotional  needs of a person’s body, but they can also be used to heal a man’s heart. The news that “The wages of sin is death, but the free give of God is eternal life,” is  not just good news, but it is the greatest good news one could ever hope to hear. This Great Good News of God’s gift of eternal life is not only written on the pages of our bibles, but is visible on a  blood stained cross where Jesus hung and died to offer you and me the greatest gift of all, the gift of eternal life.

In the eternal scheme of things, the good news that Aldi delivers is of little consequence when compared with the  great news of what Jesus delivers. Yes, he delivers us from the bondage of sin and death and offers us the gift of abundant and eternal life.

Yes, I am excited by the words that Aldi delivers but I am far more excited to hear the words that Jesus delivered me not only from the clutches of sin, but from the pathway to hell. 

Yes, the news that Aldis delivers is exciting, but the news that Jesus delivers is life changing, not just for today but forever. I hope you have made that choice.

Yours in faith and friendship,
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment