Monday, April 13, 2020


Leadership Thought: The Word of God and the word of John.

Dear Friend,

How do you start your day? No, I don’t mean coffee or tea, cream or sugar, the paper or news Fox or maybe CNN, depending on your political preference? No. I’m not thinking of beverage preferences or information gathering. I am wondering what you do to enrich your heart and soul?

I want to start my day with something that will make a difference in my life, so that I might make a difference in someone else’s life. Long ago I heard someone utter the phrase “No Bible, no breakfast”, and while I can’t say I have always  adhered to this maxim, I can say it would certainly be a wonderful discipline to develop.

Good habits that feed the heart and soul are valuable disciplines to develop. They not only will make a difference in our life, but they will make a difference in the lives of those with whom we’re with.

Let me suggest a routine that I have found helpful, and which I believe has made a difference in my life, and hopefully will make a difference in your life as well.

I try and start each day by studying the Bible. There are many ways to accomplish this, and for me variety is essential. During this spiritual season in my life, I have chosen book studies for my devotional time. Right now, I am studying 1 Peter, and before that it was Esther. The important thing, however, is not how you read the bible, but that you read your bible.

There are many varied and effective ways to study your bible, but that is a lesson for another day. I am always reminded of Paul’s admonition to Timothy: “Spend your time and energy in training yourself for spiritual fitness. Physical exercise has some value, but spiritual exercise is much more important, for it promises a reward in both this life and in the next” ( 1 Tim 4:7-8).

But there is a second habit I have found helpful to cultivate, and that is listening  to John Maxwell's daily one- or two-minute message on leadership called  "Minute with Maxwell."  I have found combining these two habits has been a wonderful way to enrich my mind and spirit, while preparing me to serve and minister to others.

John Maxwell, who has written over 100 books and spoken over 12,000 times, is one of the great Christian leaders in the world. As a former 28-year-old pastor of one of the largest churches in his denomination, he has added value to millions of lives through his books and his teaching.

I suggest you give him a listen, and if you like him, add him to your morning routine, but don’t forget the “order of the day”: The Word of God before the word of John.

Yours in faith and friendship, Tom

P.S Click on the Weekly summary below and see what you think. I believe you will be glad you did.
Here is today's leadership lesson.
Watch now!
Email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser.
Minute-With-Maxwell
 
Dear Tom,
In case you might have missed the last few episodes, here is a summary with quick links to get you caught up with this week’s Minute With Maxwell

Office of John Maxwell Team | info@johnmaxwellteam.com | John Maxwell Team
2300 North Dixie Hwy | West Palm Beach, FL 33407


No comments:

Post a Comment