Monday, April 13, 2020


Leadership Thought: Who Wants Their Feet Washed?



Dear Friend

Which would you rather do? Have your feet washed or wash the feet of someone else?  I can hear your thinking; “Pastor Tom, I don’t want anyone washing my feet, and I certainly am not about  to wash someone else’s dirty feet. 

I guess if I had to choose between being “the washer” and “the washee (surprisingly enough spell check refused to recognize this word),” I would do the washing, only because I like to be in control. But either way, I must confess there is something that makes me a little uneasy about the act.

I still remember the first foot washing service I attended, and how discomforting it was for me to have my feet washed. But if I was uncomfortable for me, how do you think those disciples of Jesus must have felt as the Savior of the world bowed down before them with towel and basin in hand and began to wash their feet. If I had been Jesus, I might have been tempted to wash a few feet, maybe Peter’s or Judas’ with a brillo pad, but then again, I am not very much like Jesus, I am sorry to say.

I have been studying the wonderful little book of 1 Peter for over a month now, and I have been through it again and again (It seems to take me a lot longer to digest God's truth than most of you). 

And interesting enough of the five chapters I could have studied, it was my turn to study chapter 5 this morning, a chapter that has so much to say about the subject of humility.

Peter tells us to “Be submissive to one another and be clothed with humility for God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble. Therefore, humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time. (1 Peter 5:5-6).

Today some churches are celebrating Maundy Thursday, the day commemorating Jesus’ last Passover supper with His disciples. This supper concluded with a lesson in “Towel and Basin” theology (John 13:1-11). 

Any takers for some foot washing? If we are submitted to the Lord, then we will be submitted to the things He taught, and even if you are in a church that doesn’t practice this tradition, you’re not exempt from being a foot washer. 

Jesus needs plenty of them and if this is your occupation you will never have to worry about standing in the unemployment line.

And always remember, "It is always good to start out at the bottom of everything except in learning to swim."

Who will you serve today and how will you serve them?

Happy  Maundy Thursday.

Yours in faith and friendship,
Tom


No comments:

Post a Comment