Wednesday, April 8, 2020


Leadership Thought: Who Are You 'Phoning' for Easter Dinner?

Dear Friends,

How many of you remember the name Jim Bakker? Jim was a well-known televangelist in the 70’s and 80's. Together, with his wife Tammy Faye, who died in1992, they built a tremendous television following through the ministry of the PTL (Praise the Lord)  network. Jim was convicted of fraud and spent a number or years in prison and when released he owed the IRS over 6 million dollars.  After his prison release, he reestablished himself in Christian broadcasting, and he now hosts his own television morning show which I happened to watch a bit this morning.

     Jim hurt a lot of people and made lot of enemies as result of his poor business decisions and his unethical behavior, and in so doing  he gave a black eye to Christian broadcasting. When he was released from prison, he had few friends and hardly anyone willing who was willing to give him a second chance,  save one family, the Grahams. 

      Bakker tells how the Grahams received him and helped him get started all over again.  “When I was transferred to my last prison, Franklin Graham, (Billy Graham's son)  said he wanted to help me out with a job, and a car and a house to live in. It was my fifth Christmas in prison.  I thought it over and said,  'Franklin, you can’t do this. It will hurt you. The Grahams don’t need my baggage.' He looked at me and said 'Jim, you were my friend in the past and you are my friend now. If anyone doesn’t like it, I’m looking for a fight.'  So, when I got out of prison, the Grahams sponsored me and paid for a house for me to live in and gave me a car to drive.",

     "The first Sunday out, Ruth called the halfway house I was living in at the Salvation Army and asked permission for me to go with them to the Montreat Presbyterian Church where they attended. When I got there, the pastor welcomed me and sat me with the Graham family. There were two whole rows of them. I think every Graham aunt and uncle and cousin were there. The organ began playing and the church was full, except for a seat next to me. The doors opened and in walked Ruth Graham. She walked down the aisle and sat next to inmate 07407-0058. I had only been out of prison for 48 hours, but she told the world that morning that Jim Bakker was her friend. 

     After the service she had me up to their cabin for dinner. When she asked me for my address, I pulled this envelop out of my pocket to look for it. In prison you are not allowed to have a wallet, so you just carry an envelope with you. She asked me, 'Don’t you have a wallet', and I said, 'Well, yes, this envelope is my wallet.' After five year of brainwashing in prison you think your envelope is your wallet. She walked into the other room and came back and said, 'Here’s one of Billy’s wallets. He doesn’t need it You can have it.'"

     What a beautiful lesson in hospitality. As you think about Easter this Sunday, it would be wonderful if you could practice the art of hospitality by inviting someone to your home for dinner you would not normally ask, someone like a Jim Bakker who may need  a reminder that there is someone out there who loves and cares for them. 

     But because this Easter, you and l will be practicing the art of “social distancing," such an invitation will be impossible. However, you could use your phone as an instrument of hospitality. I encourage each of us this Easter Sunday   to think about  person or two we could call to let them know that we are thinking of them and that we love and appreciate them.

     Want an example besides the Grahams to encourage you in this endeavor? Why not turn to Luke 14:12-14 where Jesus to said to His host who had invited Him to dinner, 'When you give a  dinner or  supper, do not ask your friends, your brothers, your relatives, nor rich neighbors, lest they also invite you back, and you be repaid. But when you give a  feast, invite the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind. And you will be blessed, because they cannot repay, for you shall be repaid at the resurrection of the just."

    Who will you call?

    Yours in faith and friendship,
    Pastor Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment