Thursday, April 8, 2021

Leadership Thought: Don’t be a ‘Good’ Listener but Be a Great Listener.

Dear Friends,

I love the Message Bible’s translation of James 1:19: "Lead with your ears, follow up with your tongue, and let anger straggle along in the rear.” The verse reminds me of the story of the mother who came home after a long hard day at work. Her little girl ran out of the house eager to greet her. “Mommy, mommy, wait until I tell you what happened today?”

After listening to a few sentences, the mother responded by indicating the rest of the story would have to wait as she needed to get dinner started. During the meal, the phone rang, and then another family member’s story was longer and louder than the little girl’s story. Once again, she tried to share her story after the kitchen was cleared. but her brother's homework  questions had to be answered, and by then it was time for her to get ready for bed with her story still untold.

Her mother came to tuck her little girl in and quickly listened to her prayers. As she bent down to tousle her little girl’s curls and to kiss her soft cheek , the child looked up and asked, "Mommy, do you really love me even if you don't have time to listen to me?” (Stories from the Heart, Alice Gray.

One of the best ways that we can show our  love for someone and demonstrate we care about them is by listening to them. The late author and speaker Bruce Larson was right when he wrote that “one of the best ways to demonstrate God's love is to listen to people?”

How true his words were. Listening is simply another word for caring. I don't profess to be the greatest listener in the world, but I try, but there have been all too many times in my life when I have been guilty of allowing the busyness of my life to crowd out my ability to listen to another with a caring and compassionate concern.

Someone facetiously said, "A ‘good' listener is one who can give you his full attention without hearing a word you say,” and sadly, I confess  I have the ability to be just that kind of listener.

How often by just taking the time to lovingly listen to someone’s painful story, we can help heal the hurts of their breaking heart. I remember just such an incident. It was an unplanned counseling appointment that arrived in my office at the height of a very busy day. As this young girl sat across from me, tears were streaming down her face as she began sharing her story. Her life was unraveling around her, and she didn't think there was anyone who cared about what she was going through. For the next 45 minutes she poured out her life story to me. I hardly said a word. I just tried to listen and hear her heart, and at the end of our time together, she got up and thanked me, and said, “I am so glad I got to talk with you, for I really feel so much better now," and she left my office. I only wished that all my  counseling appointments turned out like this one.

But what she was saying was that she was grateful that someone had taken the time to listen to her. So many times, what people need most is not the semblance of a sermon but only the solace of some silence. I confess that I am probably much better at delivering sermons then silence.

Let me encourage you today to work on your active listening skills. Try extra hard to give people your fullest attention. And remember that one of the most lasting gifts you can give someone is a listening ear.

And don’t forget. “To answer before listening-that is folly and shame” (Proverbs 18:13).

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment