Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Leadership Thought: Words an Umpire Longs to Hear.

Dear Friends,

I have been umpiring high school baseball for over 30 years, and during this span of time I have called some good games and some games where I wished I could have had a 'do over.' Umpiring can be a tough, especially in these days when there are so many would be umpires in the stands who are quick to remind you that they could have done a better job than you have done. 

But umpiring can also be gratifying, especially when you walk off the field and hear those words, "Good job blue," or "you had a good strike zone," or my favorite, "I wish you could call all our games." Those words are music to an umpire's ears, and I long to hear them every time I walk off the field.

Whether you are an umpire or not, all of us long to hear those encouraging words, "good job," "well done," "you were great." Everyone does better and feels better when working in an environment of encouragement. It has been said that encouragement is oxygen to the soul, and it is so true. Just as one needs oxygen to breath, everyone needs encouragement to survive.

I love the story of the little boy who said to his dad, "Let’s play darts." The dad responded, "How do you want to play?" The little boy said, "It's simple. I'll throw the darts and you say wonderful.”

Ken Blanchard, a popular writer, and speaker on leadership, has coined the phrase ‘Management by Walking Around’ that has become popular in leadership circles. Simply put it means wherever you are, always be looking around to find people doing something good, and then reward them with words of encouragement and affirmation.

When you find someone doing something worth rewarding, encourage them publicly, while the ‘sweat is still on their brow.' Let them hear those words great job, I’m proud of you, I knew you could do it. Children love to hear those words, but so too do grownups. People will always go farther, work harder, and perform better in an environment of encouragement and affirmation than in an environment of discouragement.

I don’t remember who it was who wrote the following words, but they were important enough for me to memorize them, “Flatter me and I may not believe you, criticize me and I may not like you, ignore me and I will never forgive you, but encourage me and I will never forget you."

Would you like to be unforgettable? I know you would, and it is so easy. Just reward people every time you see them doing something positive. And do you know what will happen? Every time they see you coming, they will be looking for ways to do something that will elicit your affirmation.

Don’t be tombstone encouragers, those who never get to say the good things about someone until there is a tombstone over their head.

One of my favorite verses, and one I memorized long ago are the words of the Apostle Paul who said, “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen (Eph. 4:29).

Be the wind beneath one’s wings and not the anchor in their boat, and you will develop the reputation of an encourager and in doing so you will find you have a lot more friends. I guarantee it!

Yours in faith,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment