Friday, April 30, 2021

Leadership Thought: The Perspective of an Umpire on Law Enforcement.

Dear Friends

There are good doctors and bad doctors, good lawyers and bad ones, good insurance agents and bad ones, and there are good ‘cops’ and bad ones. In my life I have met all kinds of people, some good and some not so good. I have learned not to paint people and professions with too broad a stroke for there are good people and bad people in each and every profession. But to watch and listen to the news over the past six months, you would think that every policeman was a bad policeman.

I grew up in Watertown, NY the home of the 10th Mountain Division, a well-trained and once well honored army unit that serves to fight for and protect freedom wherever they are deployed.

I never served in the military, but  I still maintain a tremendous level of respect for anyone who serves or who has served in the military. I seldom miss an opportunity to say thanks to a veteran whenever I see one and when I see an active member of our armed forces, regardless of the colors they are wearing, I often thank them for the service they render. I am grateful for their service to our country, and I want them to know that I appreciate their willingness to help preserve the freedom I enjoy.

But when it comes to policeman, I am pledging to be even more expressive in my thanks, for things are so out of balance in our country that many see the policeman as an enemy and not the protector of the state.

Recently Los Angeles Laker’s star LeBron James was quick to blame a police shooting in Ohio on racism (he later took down his tweet when he learned all the facts). We too, need to be careful about judging situations and casting judgement without knowing all of the details.

I in no way would defend George Chauvin’s actions-he was wrong in how he exercised his judgement, but let’s not be too quick to cast judgment on all the actions of law enforcement before we know and understand the facts. In many of the recent incidents where the actions of law enforcement have come under public scrutiny, and where the matter of racism has risen front and center, there has often been another side of the story that is neglected or under reported.

Yes, police officers are human, and like all of us, they are prone to make mistakes in decisions of judgement. When this happens, like all of us they should be punished. However, before we make our determination of guilt or innocence, let’s at least take the time to learn the facts and consider all the circumstances.

I have a good friend who is a policeman in our congregation, and I would trust him with my life. He is both a good person and a good policeman. I have been privileged to talk with him on many occasions about his profession, and I know how he feels about what is happening in our society. He happens to be the elected representative for one of the largest police units in N.J., and he recently shared with me how the toxic effect of the relentless scrutiny which law enforcement is under, has impacted their ability to do their work. This harmful impact has often been accentuated by biased reporting that doesn’t always present a fair picture of the circumstances surrounding the situation. Morale is at an all-time low and as a result a number of good officers are retiring early rather than endure the public loathing and animosity directed toward them.

I have a friend who frequently talks about the “B” word-Balance, when assessing current events. There are always two sides to every story, and we need to carefully listen to hear both sides before determining how we will respond.

All of this is to say that when I walk of the field after umpiring a high school baseball game, and I  hear the words, “Good job, blue.” My spirits are lifted. Sometimes when I know I have not done as good a job on the field as I could have done, and I hear those words, I am encouraged to keep at it and work harder to be a better umpire.

And while I don’t want to trivialize my remarks by suggesting that there is a direct correlation  between the criticism I receive, and yes, even deserve as an umpire, and the criticism directed at law enforcement, I do know that, like me, policeman too, will be grateful for a few kind words, and maybe even a “Good job, blue.” Just a thought and save your e-mails!

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment