Friday, January 1, 2021

Leadership Thought: How I Failed the 2020 One Word Challenge.

Dear Friends,

Yesterday. I was listening to a message by John Maxwell about the value of new beginnings.  A fresh start, or a do over, is a wonderful thing, but only if we avoid repeating the same mistakes we previously made.  "There is no magic energy in new beginnings," said Maxwell, unless we improve on what we tried to accomplish before. He suggested that  If we want to learn and grow and do better the next time around, we need to ask ourselves two  questions- “What did you learn from your failure,” and “what will you do differently this time to improve?”

Last year I took the "One Word" challenge that many of you might have undertaken. You pick one key word, and you focus on that word for the next 365 days. It might be growth, or balance, or caring, or serving-you just pick a word on which you wish to focus and you make it your goal for the year. I took the "One Word" challenge last year, but I confess I didn’t do very well. In fact, I did so poorly that last night at the dinner table when my daughter asked me how I did, I was embarrassed to say that I didn’t even remember what my word was.

But I am determined to do better this year. The word I have picked is “Reading,” and in light of my “Leadership Thought” yesterday on this very subject, I am taking some steps that I hope will improve my chances of  “One Word” success.

First of all, I will set a goal of reading at least one half hour a day from books that will strengthen me in areas of leadership, teaching, and communication, books that will “refill the wells of inspiration” (Harold Ockenga, from Spiritual Leadership, by Oswald Sanders, p 123.

Secondly, I will keep a pen and paper with me while reading to record thoughts, insights, and important information that I might gain in my reading.

Third, I will keep a “commonplace book” to record those important and significant insights that would be important to remember- learning that could be life changing in areas of leadership, relationships, and spiritual development.

Fourth, I will look up words  I don’t know in an effort to strengthen my vocabulary.

Fifth, five days a week I will study a particular book of the Bible for at least one month, taking notes, relying on commentaries and different translations, so that I might achieve a degree of mastery of the book.

Sixth, I will paste and copy important information that I read, and store it in my computer subject folders, and or file it away in my file cabinet.

Seventh, I will try to use the information I learn in future Leadership Thoughts, as I know the best way to remember things is to share it with others.

And finally, I will spend little time on things that I intend to quickly forget for such reading only encourages the habit of forgetting more important matters.

I don’t know what, if any, goals or resolutions you will be making for the coming year, but I do hope if you do select one, you will spend some time reflecting and recording the ways you expect to achieve it. If you do, I can assure you, unlike me, you’ll come to the end of 2021 feeling a sense of accomplishment for the life improvement you have made.

Happy New Year and may this coming year be your best year ever.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment