Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Leadership Thought: My Daughter’s Perspective on ‘Capitol’ Events and Political Leadership.

Dear Friends,

Last week, like most of the nation, I watched with dismay over the assault on our nation’s democratic process. As the events unfolded on the steps of our capitol, and more information became forthcoming, I found myself reevaluating some of my previous political thinking.

I wanted to hear and learn what other trusted friends of mine were feeling, and so putting my thoughts in the form of an e-mail, I sent them to a number of people I respect who stand on both sides of the political aisle. I did so in hopes of helping me clarify my own perspective, I shared my views and requested a response to an article that I had sent to them, and I was most encouraged by the numerous responses I received.

As a Trump supporter during his years in office, mostly due to his support for “right to live, I found my support now waning in the face of transpiring events.

The many insightful replies I received helped me to clarify and reformulate my own thinking, and one of the best responses came from my very own daughter, Rachel, with whom Jean and I live. She was not a Biden supporter, but simply an open minded, hungry to learn, follower of Christ who has been reading, studying and praying, while all the time agonizing over the events of the last six months.

The following, which she has given me permission to share, are the words she sent me.

Hi Dad,

I have read the article you shared several times.  Rather than pick it apart or debate each piece, I thought I would share some of what I have read over these last couple of days that summarize much of what I think and feel about Trump, his leadership, and the detriment his actions have caused.   My heart is broken for this country.  I am sad to imagine how Christ views the shameful and horrific choices made and celebrated these last four years.  I hope we can reunite after the great division Trump has caused in his term.    Here goes...

Jesus flags? JESUS FLAGS?!?!??? Let’s be clear: Jesus boldly states, “My Kingdom is not of this world” in John 18:36. That’s pretty darn clear. Jesus said it, we believe it, and we cannot —MUST NOT—send a message that contradicts the words of Jesus.

Jesus also clearly calls out hypocrites. So, if anyone marching on the Capital building said ONE SINGLE WORD against the protests from the Black Lives Matter movement... take pause. And repent. Thank God for Grace, but own up to privilege.

Whatever your political party, if you claim Christ as Lord, your allegiance is first and foremost as Kingdom citizens (Philippians 3:20). Lord, help us.

Wednesday, January 6, was the Feast of Epiphany when Christians celebrate how the light of Christ spreads to all nations.  But if the nations were watching yesterday—as people destabilized democracy while carrying flags that read “Make America Godly Again”—would any onlooker want anything to do with this Christ?

The violence wrought by Trump supporters storming the Capitol yesterday is anti-epiphany. It is dark and based in untruth.

While what happened at the Capitol yesterday is tragic, it is not surprising. For more than four years, Trump has shown that he is more than willing to say any lie, ignore any standard of decency, and bring any amount of violence and division to shore up his own power. Through manipulative disinformation, he incited an insurrection and has yet to condemn it unequivocally.

But sadly, in this anti-epiphany, the wise men are not so wise. They willingly comply. So, for me, the worst part of this week’s insurrection is how it represents an utter failure in the American church. Though it saddens me deeply, it must be clearly admitted: Yesterday’s atrocity was in large part brought to us by the white, evangelical church in America.

I have at times tried to dismiss these leaders and events as fringe, as the crazy cranks and bizarre displays we ought to ignore. But I cannot overlook the reality that millions of evangelicals are swayed by those who proclaim untruth and ugliness in the name of Jesus.

The responsibility of yesterday’s violence must be in part laid at the feet of those evangelical leaders who ushered in and applauded Trump’s presidency. It can also sadly be laid at the feet of the white American church more broadly.

The ongoing protest of the election is not about a search for truth; it is an attempt to shape truth to suit the desires of the powerful.  President Trump wasn’t making a legal or a factual argument. His stop the steal “case” has been dismissed over 50 times and several by judges he himself appointed.  He was using his power to put a thumb on the scales. Therefore, the ongoing support of these unproven theories of election fraud by some white conservative Christians does not simply weaken the church’s witness by making it partisan. It weakens our witness by aligning truth with power — a classic error that has always led to ruin.

To be on the side of truth is to be on the side of peace and the flourishing of this country because lies can only be maintained by violence.

The church has always seen a profound truth in these words. As the one beaten and bloody, Jesus reveals what humanity was designed to be. Strength and transformation do not come through the assertion of the will. Strength is the willingness to suffer and to be counted as weak, to be on the side of truth and love.

For the Christian, we are not most human when we toss away our integrity to hold on to power or when we cower in silence. We are most human when we live completely in accord with the truth. For the Christian, this is not a theory about how one might live. The resurrection proves transformative power can come out of weakness — God can snatch victory out of certain defeat. The resurrection, the triumph of the humiliated and seemingly powerless one, frees us to tell the Pilates of the world the truth.

Their desire for something to be true doesn’t make it so. The truth exists outside of them. It belongs to God. This fact frees Christian leaders to tell the truth to their congregations, even if the pews empty. Trump lost the election. That isn’t a partisan statement. It is a true statement that, if repeated loudly and consistently enough, might, even in the last days of this presidency, help portions of the church find itself.”

I am grateful for Rachel’s perspective as one who  is  a non-political partisan  follower of Jesus, and to those who may differ with her, both she and I would champion your right to disagree. For me, I am still evaluating her response and regardless of where I come out, I would never choose to allow my political beliefs to sever a single relationship, something that sadly has happened in too many situations.

For those seeking more information, she includes the following articles which shaped her thinking’

Article #1: Christianity Today: We worship with the Magi, not MAGA

Article #2: Truth Over Power

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment