Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Leadership Thought: What Kind of Book Would Anyone Give to Six Dozen People?

Dear Friends,

I have been reading a wonderful book by the late Chuck Smith, the founder of the Calvary Chapel movement. Why Grace Changes Everything, was a book I pulled off my bookshelf that I didn’t  know I even possessed, but what a wonderful discovery. As I read it, I thought to myself, this is a book that everyone should read. It’s the perfect book to give to both believers and non-believers alike, because we all need to better understand the amazing nature of “Amazing Grace.”

Yesterday in doing a bible study with some men in a U-Turn addiction ministry with which our church is associated, I mentioned to the director of the ministry how much Chuck Smith’s book had meant to me. He surprised me when he commented, “I know it well.  I have read it a number of times, and over the years I have probably given six dozen of the books away.” It was his “go to” give away book, and it is going to be mine as well.

No matter how much we think we understand grace, and no matter how many times we memorize and repeat to ourselves Ephesians 2:8-9 ("It is by grace that you have been saved, through faith-and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-not by works, so that no one can boast"), it is so easy to slip back into a legalistic works mentality which screams, “Look what I am doing for you God. Look how many chapters I read in my bible this morning, or how many minutes I have been praying this week, or how many visits I made to those shuts in or how many…”

Proverbs 30:12 reminds us “There is a generation that are pure in their own eyes, and yet is not washed from their filthiness.”

Our performance driven mentality wants to stand up and scream, "Look what I have done," when in truth we need to fall on our faces and humbly cry out “O God look what you have done.”

Church Smith writes in his book, “Whenever we try to establish our righteousness by keeping rules,” (or performing good acts) “eventually we are forced to admit we operate on a sliding scale. I will always look morally better to myself than I do to you, and you will always look morally worse to me than you do to yourself. I can look at your life and see all kinds of flaws, but when I look at myself, the few flaws I notice don’t seem so bad” (P. 18).

But no matter the quality and quantity of our good works, they are all nothing more than filthy rags compared to the goodness and ‘righteousness of a holy God. “We are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousness are as filthy rages” Isaiah 64:6).

No matter how high we climb on the ladder of good works, our ladder will eventually topple and when it does all we can do is look up and acknowledge, the only way I can ever make it to heaven is through your “Amazing Grace” revealed to me in the  good work You did for me upon the cross. And so, with the hymn writer who wrote Rock of Ages, we come to Him singing,  “Nothing in my hands, I bring, simply to the cross I cling.”

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment