Wednesday, January 6, 2021

Leadership Thought: What Happens at an Elders' Meeting That Keeps Even Your Wife Awake?

Dear Friends,

“Some wake up to an alarm, some wake up to a calling.” The source of this unknown quote caught my attention when I read it. It got me to thinking about what keeps me going and what makes me excited when I wake up.

It’s not my career, that’s something I do to only earn a living. No what energizes me and what I am passionate about is not my career, but my calling, and there is a tremendous difference between the two.

Last night at church we had our monthly elders' meeting. When it finished around ten, I walked into the bedroom and Jean was still awake. She asked me, “How did the meeting go?” I said, “Great, but why do you ask?” She said, "You seemed so loud, and I wondered  if you were upset.” I said, "No, I was just excited.”  I was excited as we talked about missions, and I guess I was a little more enthusiastic and passionate than I normally might have been.

John Maxwell talks about the difference between a career and a calling. He says some people give themselves to a career. They work hard to advance, to climb the ladder of success and sadly when they get to the top, they are disillusioned to find that the ladder is leaning against the wrong building.

I am now in my 52nd year of ministry having graduated from seminary in 1968, and you know I am more excited about what I am now doing that at any time in my life. My ministry career has changed as I have pastored in seven different churches, but my job description remains the same-to win people to Jesus and build His kingdom, and that’s what keeps me passionate, and sometimes so excited at an elders' meeting to keep my wife awake. When my alarm clock goes off each morning, it's passion that wakes me up excited about the day.

I feel badly for the person who is stuck in a career and who has nothing to look forward to, but their next week’s paycheck.  You may have heard it said that if you find something you love to do and do it, you won’t have to work another day in your life.

You can retire or quit your job and forget your career, but you can never quit your job and forget your calling. You calling always outlives your career.

What wakes me up early to write a daily Leadership Thought-no they don’t automatically appear on my computer screen each morning-it's passion that derives from a calling.  What keeps me up late at night to attend an elders meeting? Simply put, it is a passion and a purpose to make a difference in people’s lives.

Author Frederick Buechner said that our purpose is at “that place where your deep gladness meets the world’s deep need.” Leadershift, John Maxwell, p. 237.

If you are a believer, you can have both a career and a calling, you can make a living while at the same time, you can change a life, or many lives for that matter. Jesus said, "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand; and it gives light to all the house. in the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father in heaven” (Matt 5:16).

So, shine your light, and shine it brightly and you will make a difference in both your career and your calling.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

P.S. You don't need a pill or a drink to produce passion; just Jesus!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment