Thursday, February 11, 2021

Leadership Thought: Concern for Those Believers in the 90% Percentile!

Dear Friend,

Did you know that the American Bible Society recently released a report showing that only 9% of Americans read their Bible every day? This is the lowest figure they have ever reported while running the report for over a decade.

But here is the good news: 67.8% of American adults (about 172,000,0000) are considered 'Bible curious' which means they are hungry to learn more about scripture. Here is some even better news. The data also shows that more Americans were exploring the Bible for the first time after the pandemic hit than ever before. This means there are literally millions of Americans who are hungry for the Word. (Information derived from Rick Warren's Pastor's Perspective, internet.)

I don’t know where you fall during these Pandemic times, but I hope, if you are not accustomed to spending time reading the Bible each day, you will begin today.

The great man of God, George Mueller, after having read the Bible through over a 100 times with increasing delight, made this statement: “I look upon it as a day lost when I have not had a good time over the Word of God. Friends often say, I’ve so much to do, so many people to see, that I cannot find time for scripture study. Perhaps there are not many who have more to do than I. For more than a half a century I have never known one day when I had not more business than I could get through. For four years I have (received) annually about 30,000 letters , and most of them have passed through my own hands. Then, as pastor of a church with 1,200 believers, great has been my care. Besides, I have had charge of five immense orphanages. Also,  at my publishing depot ,(I oversee) the printing and circulating of millions of tracts, books, and bibles, but I have always made it a rule never to begin work until I have had a good season with God and his Word. The blessing I have received has been wonderful.”

Paul writes Timothy, exhorting him to “Work hard so God can say to you,  Well done! Be a good workman, one who does not need to be ashamed when God examines your work. Know what His Word says and means” (2 Timothy 2:15 LBT).

Because God will examine what kind of workers we have been, we must be careful to build our lives on the foundation of His Word , so that we can build his word into our lives. It is in the Word that we find revealed the lessons of life that God desires us to learn if we are to faithfully serve him. If we ignore the regular reading of His Word, and we avoid any diligent study of that Word, we are told that we will be ashamed at the judgment. What believer would want that to happen? Consistent and conscientious study of God's word is vital, lest we be lulled into neglecting God and our true purpose.

And not only will the reading of his word save you from being ashamed on that day when you stand before him , but it will provide you the resources to live life victoriously in this world of here and now, for as one godly man once wrote , “A  Bible that is falling apart probably belongs to someone who isn't.”

How about making a commitment to follow through on this bible challenge: “No bible, no breakfast.”

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

P.S. I would be eager to hear how your commitment to reading the bible has impacted and influenced your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment