Tuesday, February 2, 2021

Leadership Thought: It Took an Elders' Retreat to Remind Me That If You Are an "ISFP" You May Have a Problem.

Dear Friends,

At our weekend elders retreat, we spent part of our morning session assessing our leadership personalities as reflected in the taking of  a modified Meyer’ Briggs Personality Inventory.  It has been over 25 years since I took the test, and I was curious to find out if I had changed as experts say your personality type doesn’t change. as you go through life. I found this to be true; once an ISFP always an ISFP, although, for those familiar with the marking scale, my "P" and my "J" were much closer than I had expected.

ISFP's are  described as gentle. sensitive, nurturing, helpful, flexible, and realistic, and I like to think I possess some of those qualities. But one thing ISFP’s do not possess is the ability to confront others, which is an important quality for leaders.  Those who  are strong “F’s” (feeling oriented) generally repress  feelings and lack healthy emotional expression which can lead to a lot of stress and frustration. Private and sensitive,  it is often hard for us to have those tough conversations, and we often get butterflies in our belly at the thought of confronting, or worse yet firing someone.

I am vastly different from a former staff member with whom I worked. Prior to seminary, he managed a Bask and Robbins’ ice cream franchise, and he told me, he actually enjoyed opportunities to confront people, and he was very comfortable firing them when he needed to do so.  

I sometimes wish I  had a small portion of his confrontational personality as I am the kind of person that always thinks if I wait long enough, I can help change the person, and that our working relationships will eventually improve.

In one of my churches, I had an administrative secretary who was A-1 at performing her job description, but she lacked empathy. She got things done, but often as the expense of other’s feelings, and people told me I needed to find another place for her to work, for she was not a good reflection of my ministry. For a year and a half, I fought and agonized over the decision, always concluding that I could “fix her” and with time she would change and be more like the secretary I needed. However, the unspoken tension only got worse. Finally, I mustered the emotional energy to make a change, and I am happy to say the change was good for both of us. She was repositioned in a new job that was a better fit for her, and I was relieved to find a secretary that was more reflective of my ministry style and values.

If you are like I am, you may find those difficult conversations easy to put off, but here is something that I found very helpful. It came from a podcast  titled, “Why Can’t You Just Like Me and Do What I Say?” I quote from the notes I took.

“Strong, relational leaders tend to lead with care and avoid candor. If it's all care and no candor, this leads to a dysfunctional relationship- things are never all good. Strong task production leaders tend to lead with candor and hold back care. If it is all candor and no care, this leads to a distant relationship, and no one wants to be around you. It is important to maintain mutual purpose and mutual respect when dealing with tough situations.”

The noted writer and speaker, Dr. Henry Cloud teaches  “that what you have today in your home or in your work environment is the result of two things; what you created and what you allowed.”

It isn’t always easy to “speak the truth in love,”( Eph 4:15a), and  when we do,  we must always keep in mind the important balance between caring and candor, so that like Jesus our conversations are always  “full of grace and truth” (John1:14). If we do, we will be able to say with the Apostle John that we are “walking in love” (2 John v. 6), and what better walk could we ever take than the “walk of love.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

Quotes taken from the John Maxwell Executive Leadership Podcast with Chris Goede and Perry Holly, Episode  102

No comments:

Post a Comment