Friday, February 19, 2021

Leadership Thought: He May Not Have Been the Best President, but That’s Not What I Remember about Him.

Dear Friends,

The news caught my attention. “Jimmy Carter not attending Biden’s inauguration.”  My first thought was that is no surprise; after all he is 96 and has had had bouts with liver cancer, brain cancer that both had metastasized, and he only recently learned had learned how to walk again after suffering a pelvic fracture one of a number of falls. Missing the inauguration, however, should have been a surprise, for it marked the first one he would miss since he and his wife left the White House in 1981

Former President Carter has always impressed me, not so much for his presidential politics and leadership -most historians feel he was only an average president, -but for his tenacity and determination to make his life count for others  through his involvement with Habitat for Humanity as well as a long list of other charitable causes. President Carter was always serving and up until a few years ago he was still teaching his weekly Bible study lesson on Sundays in his home church in Plains, Ga.

Carter tells the following story that illustrates a point he would often make about the importance of always giving your absolute best at whatever you did.

In his autobiography he tells of being interviewed by the late naval Admiral Hyman Rickover whose interviews were legendary. Rickover always wanted to cut through glib, rehearsed answers to get a look at the person underneath. He especially wanted to know how candidates would act under stress. On occasion he would have those he was interviewing sit in a chair with the front legs sawed off an inch or two shorter than the back, to keep the interviewees off balance. Nice guy, hey? In his autobiography, Why Not the Best, President Carter tells about his own Rickover interview.

The Admiral asked how he had stood in his class at the Naval Academy. “I swelled my chest with pride and answered, “Sir, I stood 59th in a class of 820.” I sat back to wait for his congratulations. Instead came the question: “Did you do your best?” I started to say, “Yes, sir,” but I remembered who this was. I gulped and admitted, “No, Sir, I didn't always do my best.” He looked at me for a long time, and then asked one final question, which I have never been able to forget-or to answer. He asked, “Why not?”

That question is a good one for us to ask ourselves. Are we doing our best? What, if anything, could we do today to improve our ability as employers/employees, teachers,  fathers,  mothers, students, and yes pastors, who are seeking to live as disciples of the Lord Jesus Christ?

I occasionally sign my letters with an added scripture verse from Colossians 3:23-24. It is a challenging reminder to myself and to the reader of my letter. The Apostle Paul exhorts us that   “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward; It is the Lord Christ you are serving?”

Some years ago, typesetters for the “Times of London” failed to produce a copy free from typographical errors. The editors thought long and hard about how to correct the situation. They announced that the first copy of every edition would be sent free to their majesties, the King and Queen. Immediately the errors dropped to virtually zero.

Every child of the Kingdom should so strive to produce excellence in the sight of His Majesty, the King of Kings, so that we will never have reason to be ashamed of that which we offer to Him.

Today, may each of us determined to give nothing but the best of ourselves in whatever we are called to do.

Yours in ministry,

Pastor Tom 

No comments:

Post a Comment