Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Leadership Thought: What I Am Learning About Life from a Viet Nam Vet.

Dear Friends,

My most recent e-mail from a friend of mine included these rambling thoughts:

Thanks Tom….feelings are worth getting out and let everyone have a good shot at them …and from it all,  it is a learning experience and wisdom…and often a few laughs about how absurd it all sounds…..Like shirts and skins…all part of the game…...as long as all know we are  recognized and loved by each other …where would I be without your positive influence on my life?................. I thought a spicier discussion about Jesus and God and the Buddha would help get it all out to make some sense of what we are experiencing as humans…and maybe even spice up your sermons.”

I e-mailed him back a big ? for like some of his previous e-mails, his responses didn’t make a lot of sense to me.

These words came yesterday from a friend I have gotten to know the last couple of years.  He is a Viet Nam vet who overcame PTSS, and now is working with other veterans, helping them deal with their physical and  moral wounds and trying to  assist them in assimilating back into society. He has a strong aversion to the politics of the last four years, and he makes no bones about his dislike of our former president. His criticism of religion has often been scathing, and there is probably not much we have in common politically, socially, or spiritually, except that we grew up in the same town and lived down the street from one another.

Hank (not his real name) and I have been corresponding regularly for several months now, and while sometimes his comments are frequently irreverent to say the least, I appreciate his openness and honesty, and yes, even his  absurdity at times which often makes me laugh.

Hank is right. His comments are probably far too spicy for my congregation, and if shared would probably get me fired. But despite our differences on most matters, there is a quality about him that I appreciate, and it is his honesty. He is open and honest about his views and in spite of our differences, I feel his longing to relate with people like me who don’t share his same points of view.

And what caught my attention from his previous e-mail were his words, “Like shirts and skins…all part of the game…as long as all know we are recognized and loved by each other.”

Yes, I thought to myself. It doesn’t matter whether we are shirts or skins, black or white or yellow, or brown, Republicans or Democrats, young or old, rich or poor, spiritual or secular, from this side or the other side of the tracks so long as we are recognized and loved by one another.

Hank is my neighbor, not in proximity or political persuasion. We are very different; he a  Viet Nam vet and I am anti Viet Nam activist, and yet we like each other, laugh together, and we have learned to be honest and open with one another.

No, he is not my neighbor from the world’s perspective, but from a spiritual perspective he lives just around the corner. Jesus says “He is my neighbor and He calls me to love him, regardless of his politics, faith or lack of it, or a hundred and one other differences that might divide us.

Jesus taught us well when He gave us two commandments to live out. He told us that we are “to love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.” The second is to love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these” (Mark 12:30-31).

Would that we, and all our political and spiritual adversaries learned and lived out that lesson. If we did, it wouldn’t matter whether we were shirts or skins, for in the end we would still be friends who loved and respected one another in spite of our differences.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment