Wednesday, February 26, 2020


Thought for the Day: A Computer, a Customer, and a "Breakfast Special" I will Never Forget

Dear Friends,

Yesterday I had lunch at a restaurant in Red Bank with a friend I had met last year at a high school football game. I arrived early, bringing some work with me to do before my friend arrived. I noticed the "Breakfast Special" on the menu which was good until 11:00 am, and I planned on ordering it when my friend arrived. Unfortunately, he was five minutes late, and when I asked the waitress if I could still order the special, she informed me that the special was no longer available because it was five minutes after 11. I thought at first, she was just kidding, but she was serious, and so I swallowed my frustration and ordered pancakes instead. I guess I didn't do a very good job of hiding my frustration because she leaned over and  whispered in my ear: "Sir, I will check with my boss and see if you can still order the special." What had become a normal request had now become a monumental issue, and I told the server not to worry about it. Apparently she didn't heed my advice, however, and a few minutes later she came back to tell me her boss informed her that the computer at the register was set for 11.00 am and after that the price automatically increased, and he couldn't do anything about overriding the computer.  Now, it was not a big deal, and I am one of the last people in the world to complain to a waitress about the service- all my girls were waitresses, and I know how hard they work-but I did leave the restaurant disappointed.  And while the food was good, and the portions great, the customer service left much to be desired. The diner didn't have a computer issue, it had a customer issue, and this customer might never enter that restaurant again.

Now what's the point? Aren't you making a little too much over a three-dollar difference between some restaurant special and the regular price of a couple of eggs, toast, hash browns and  a cup of coffee? The answer is yes, but all the while I couldn't stop thinking how easy it is to fall into the trap of choosing principle over people, and yes, a computer over a customer.

We in the church are in the people business, and we should do everything we can to serve others, even when it is not comfortable, even when it is inconvenient, and yes, even when there is a conflict between the computer and the customer. You and I are called to go out of our way to serve others, and if we forget that, we ignore the message of our "Founder" who taught us to "go the extra mile." Translation: You and I are nothing more than an the "unprofitable servant" that Luke describes in Luke 17:10.

If, or when I should ever see that restaurant owner again, I am going to leave him with these words: "I bet Chick-fil-A never did it that way."

Yours in faith and friendship

Pastor Tom
P.S. Remember, "A leader serves by leading and leads by serving."

No comments:

Post a Comment