Wednesday, May 3, 2023

Leadership Thought: The Secretary I Didn't Fire Soon Enough, A Lesson on Loyalty.

Dear Friends

Loyalty in people is something that I admire. In fact, I suspect that it might be said of me that “I am sometimes loyal to a fault.” I think I have always been that way, and there have been times when being that way has hurt me.

I remember well a secretary I had many years ago. Administratively she was top of the line. She had the ability to tidy up my desk before I even had a chance to get it messy. She was great organizationally, but poor relationally and consequently not the best kind of person to represent me. To put it mildly, she could be blunt, insensitive, and at times even rude. People kept telling me she was hurting my ministry, but I always thought she would learn and get better.

Unfortunately, it was my penchant for loyalty that kept me from doing what others kept telling me I needed to do. I did ultimately make the decision to replace her. and we found another place for her where she was more suited to serve.

It has been many years since this experience, but I still remember it and how my misguided  loyalty proved to be a temporary detriment to my ministry. I would like to say I learned a valuable lesson from that experience, but even today I will have to admit that there still have been times since when I have allowed my loyalty to impact my logic.

Loyalty is a wonderful thing as long as we don’t allow it to blind our objectivity, causing us to lose touch with reality. 

I admit I do admire loyalty, and I treasure that quality in people I know, and even the places I frequent.  I shop predominantly at Aldi’s because I am loyal to the brand, and I  drive 40 minutes to eat Thai food in a restaurant in East Brunswick rather than frequent one of the several I could dine at locally because I am loyal to the owner. 

Yes, I admit I may be more than a little bit irrational when it comes to some forms of loyalty, but it is the rational kind of loyalty that I hope others will appreciate and always admire in me.

The disciple Thomas was the kind of person I admire. Sure, he has been given that terrible moniker, “The Doubter,” and perhaps it is well deserved. But in my mind, I like to think of Thomas in another light. 

When the disciples and Jesus were on their way to Jerusalem, and it looked as if there was a mutiny brewing, and Jesus might be left to walk into Jerusalem alone, it was Thomas, loyal and courageous Thomas, who said, “Let us also go, that we may die with Him.” 

He put Peter and John to shame. As a result of his words, the spirits of those disciples were suddenly settled and all twelve of them arose to follow their Master to his death. Thomas may have been a doubter, but at least he was a dependable, devoted, and dutiful doubter.

George Whitefield, that mighty preacher of the 1700’s was heard to shout at one of his critics, “If I am going to be damned at least it will be at the feet of Jesus.”

Proverbs 3:3-4 exhorts us  to “Never let loyalty and kindness get away from you! Wear them like a necklace, write them deep within your heart. Then you will find favor with both God and people, and you will gain a good reputation.”

A young man in the army confided to his pastor that he never went about with another girl if he was less than fifty miles from home. His loyalty went only fifty miles.

How far does our loyalty to Jesus go? I hope it is more than a fifty-mile loyalty.”  

May each one of us possess this kind of loyalty that we might say with Thomas, “Let us go, (to Jerusalem) that we may die with Him.” 

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment