Thursday, February 8, 2018

A Letter I Will Never Forget

Dear Friends,
I want to share a letter which touches me every time I read it. It was written by a daughter to a mother at the time of her marriage. It reads as follows

            “Mom,
            I have watched you every year of my life and most of those 25 years I have been RIGHT by your side, literally. I am a mommy's girl. I am not sure when our relationship changed from mother-daughter to best friends, but I am thankful that it did. I have learned so much from you along the way! You work hard at everything you do! You set your mind to a task and you will not quit until you achieve it. You have instilled that in me.
            Your devotion to dad is something I want to imitate in my marriage. You have allowed dad to be the person God designed him to be. You have supported him in times when it would have been much easier to go against him. I admire that and hope I can offer the same support to my “husband”.
            Your love for your 4 children, 3 son-in-laws and your 2 grandchildren is greater than anything I have ever seen. It is so clear that we are all a top priority in your life, and you will do anything for each of us.”


I treasure this letter because it was written by a person who is very close to me - my very own daughter Rachel - who penned it 15 years ago. Her mom and I had the privilege of hearing her read this letter during the wedding service just before I married Rachel to her husband Drew.

I too was privileged to receive a similar gift at that wedding, one which she also read to me prior to taking her vows. Today that letter is carefully preserved in my Bible along with a number of other encouraging and affirming letters I have received from my children over the years. These letters are among my most treasured gifts, and I often reread them in times when my encouragement tank is on empty.

One of the greatest gifts one can offer anyone is the gift of encouragement. There are few gifts of which I know that are more significant and longer lasting than this gift.  Encouragement “is oxygen to the soul,” and like oxygen we can’t live very long without it. 

Paul knew the value of encouragement when he wrote to the Thessalonians and exhorted them "to encourage one another and build each other up, just as you are already doing" 1 Thess. 5:11

As a pastor, I have always tried to follow Paul's exhortation knowing that encouragement is a gift that can touch and impact lives in a multitude of ways.

It you are looking for a gift that everyone needs, and one which no one can’t afford, this is the gift for you. Just pick up a pen and some paper (maybe a card if you want to make is even more special), and send a gift that will never be forgotten for words of encouragement are not only priceless but eternal.

And don’t ever forget that “When a person is down in the world, an ounce of encouragement is better than a pound of preaching.” Edward George Bulwer Lytton

Yours in faith and friendship,

Pastor Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment