Wednesday, April 3, 2019


New Monmouth Musings:  Words of Encouragement from a Baseball Coach

Dear Friends,

Did you ever have someone share some words of encouragement that so made your day that you just had to write them a note and say thanks to your ‘cheerleader”? As some of you may know, I have umpired high school baseball for 30 years, but because of some recent health issues, I realized I probably wouldn't be calling balls and strikes this season, something that was disappointing to say the least.

Because I love baseball and was missing being on the field, I stopped by the Rumson practice field last week where my son had played and where over the years I had umpired a number of times. As I walked from my car to the fence to witness an intra-squad scrimmage, Coach Kevin James recognized me and immediately came over to the fence to give me a great big hug. Wow! Baseball coaches hugging umpires is probably a rarity these days, but Kevin knew my health situation, and his physical embrace communicated a message I needed to hear that particular Saturday morning. I am sure that Kevin had little idea how much his warm embrace and his words of encouragement meant to me that morning, but they were exactly what I needed.

A hug, a few kind and encouraging words and Kevin went back to the dugout to get his team ready for the game. Little did he know how his actions would impact me that day. His message of love was just what I needed to hear, as I struggled with the reality of not being on the field this season. I wanted Kevin to know how the short time he spent with me had impacted me, so I wrote him a note to say thanks for being there and for being an encourager when I most needed it.

Mother Teresa once said, "kind words are short and easy to speak, but their echoes are endless." It doesn’t take much time or effort to be an encourager, and the wonderful thing is that it is a gift that everyone can offer.
The Apostle Paul said "Don't let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.” Eph. 4:29

Solomon, the wisest person who ever lived, said "Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul, and healing to the bones.” Proverbs 16:24

Yes kind encouraging words spoken at just the right time can lighten loads, lift our spirits, and inspire us. They can fill our hearts with hope for the future.

Just as I was finishing this devotional, I received a call from my breakfast partner, Dan Herman who is the chaplain at Riverview, and with whom I had just had breakfast that same morning. He just wanted to check in to find out how I was feeling.

How thankful I am to have friends like Kevin and Dan and so many others who have encouraged me in so many different ways over my lifetime.

Blessed are those who through their kind and encouraging words are the wind beneath our wings.

Is there someone you know today who might need a little wind beneath their wings, a little healing for their hearts, a little encouragement for their hearts? Why not drop them a note, give them a call, or stop by and offer one of those Kevin James type hugs? Not only will you feel better, but imagine how you might impact your 'huggee’. So today I encourage you to get writing, get calling, and get going, and whatever you do, and wherever you go, take the love of Jesus with you and make the world a different place because you cared enough to share your love with someone else.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Pastor Tom

PS  And the sequel to this story is because of Kevin’s encouragement,  I have now determined to make an effort to get back on the field and do what I love to do “calling them as I see them”!



  


No comments:

Post a Comment