Monday, April 12, 2021

Leadership Thought: That Girl is on Fire.

Dear Friends,

Alicia Keys has a song “Girl on Fire” that I enjoy. I desire to be like the  person she describes in her song. I want to be passionate about making a difference in others’ lives. I want to be the kind of person who can’t wait to get out of the bed because they have something important to do. These kind of people are ‘difference makers.’

In life there are fire lighters and fire fighters, and as much as I love firemen, I’d rather be a fire lighter. I don’t want to douse dreams and dampen spirits. I want to set a spark to a dream and then pour on the gasoline and transform that spark into a blaze.

My first high school football coach was an example of the passion I describe. Frank Shields was passionate about football. There was a passion  within him that  was contagious. When Frank told us we could become a good football team, we believed him and it was this passion that produced our success on the football field.

I am passionate about my wife, and children, Aldi’s, the Cleveland Indians, flower gardening, coaching, and umpiring, but I am most  passionate about my faith in Jesus and my passion produces a desire to please Him for He is worthy of my passion.

Whenever passion disappears in a person, the chances of success in any aspect of life are significantly diminished. And I believe this is especially true in  evangelism. If we're not excited about our faith, then probably it is time to put a hand over our heart and see if we have a spiritual heartbeat.

The Apostle Paul exhorts the Colossian church to be passionate and enthusiastic. “Whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men” (Colossians 3 :23). “And in Ecclesiastes we read, “Whatsoever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might” (Ecclesiastes 9:10). Why did the workers in Nehemiah’s day complete the walls around Jerusalem in just 52 days? It was because, “The people had a mind to work (Nehemiah 4 6). The workers were passionate and enthusiastic, full of zeal and ardor as they went about their mission.

Whatever you and I do today, let's do it with passion, zeal, and enthusiasm. Let's not go half speed but full speed as we complete our task. May it never be said of us that we were guilty of sleepwalking through life.

I am reminded of a quote that says it all.  “When a leader reaches out in passion, he/she is usually met with an answering passion.” People do what people see.  One who is passionate about what he/she  does is the kind of leader every team, every business, every church, and every family desires. It is the kind of person who does what he/she loves and loves what he/she does. So, let's take the foot off the brakes, and get moving or better yet get scorching, for who knows the difference we might make today in someone’s life if we spark that flame.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

P.S. For those who need that spark let me suggest that “Instead of wondering when your next vacation is, maybe you should set up a life you don’t need to escape from.” Seth Godin

No comments:

Post a Comment