Tuesday, January 4, 2022

Leadership Thought: Chick-fil-A, an Airport Security Officer and a Flight Home from Atlanta I Will Never Forget.

Dear Friends,

It is seldom good when you are awakened by a phone call at 12:30 in the morning, but this call was different. It was from the delivery man standing outside my door with my lost suitcase from a flight I had taken two days ago. It was good news, the culmination of a trip home from Destin, Florida where I had spent a week vacationing with Jean and my four children and 10 grandchildren.

On Friday morning I received a text at 4:00 am that my 6:00 am flight had been cancelled, and there were no reasonably priced flights to get me back to New Jersey in time for services on Sunday. I discovered, however, that I could fly reasonably out of Atlanta and get home in time for the Sunday service at which I was to preach. So, I drove on a six-hour trip with my daughter to Atlanta to fly home the next day on an early morning flight to Newark. However, when we arrived in Atlanta at 7:00 pm, much to my chagrin, I discovered I had lost my wallet with my driver's license, and I had no other means of identification to enable me pass through airport security. 

On our five-hour trip to Atlanta, we had stopped midway at a Chick fil-A, in Troy, Alabama, and my only hope was that I might have left my wallet at the restaurant. When I called, l was elated to discover that someone had picked up my wallet and turned it in.

Those television Chick-fil-A commercials touting their significant customer service are true. Graciously, the manager offered to drive an hour and a half and meet me halfway- Troy was three hours away- but by now it was after 8 pm. and we were all exhausted, so we thanked the manager for her kindness and simply asked her to send a digital copy of my driver's license in the hopes that this would be sufficient to get me through airport security.

Believe it or not, I had done the same thing a few years before, so I knew I was taking a big chance that such digital information would be sufficient to get me through security.  In spite of showing a photo of my driver's license, and some other digitally copied information from my wallet substantiating my identity, this would not be sufficient for the security officer. She told me, "You need two or three hard copies of something with your name on it."

I feverishly poured through the material I had in my briefcase, but there was nothing that would identify me. As a last resort I casually pulled out my bible and decided to play the "I am a pastor routine," hoping this might soften her resistance, but this had little impact. And then I noted tucked away in my bible were a couple of copies of past "Leadership Thoughts" I had written.  I pointed to my name and e-mail address at the top of the devotionals, and I immediately witnessed a change in her demeaner. She then told me she was a born-again believer, and while normally I would need three or four hard copies of identifying information, she smiled and said, "Honey, that will be enough,"

Leaving Jean behind at the airport, I arrived in Newark, sleep deprived and physically and emotionally exhausted, only to discover that my suitcase didn't hadn't made the flight.

I share all of this to point out the kindness of people-the manager of Chick-fil-A as well as the security officer who made an exception to the security process. I like to think most people are good and kind, and generally speaking I find this to be true. People are what you expect them to be.

As I reflect on this weekend experience I thought of Paul's message to the Galatians when he wrote "As we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, especially to those who belong to the family of faith (Galatians 6:10).

And all of this made me wonder if I hadn't written those two Leadership Thoughts that somehow mysteriously found their way into my Bible, would I still be in Atlanta, looking for a cheap way to get home?

And yes, it is good to be home, even if it means having to be awakened at 12:30 in the morning by a man standing at your door delivering your lost suitcase.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

P.S. "Life is short and we have not too much time for gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark way with us. Oh, be swift to love! Make haste to be kind." Henri Frederic Amiel

No comments:

Post a Comment