Monday, January 10, 2022

Leadership Thought: Some Advice for Those Who Might Someday Be Criticized.

Dear Friends,

I hate to be critical but, don't you ever wonder how odd it is for a person to continue to do something that he/she hates so much? 

No time in my life can I remember criticism being so common or so hurtful as it is today in our politically charged world.  Kudos to those school administrators who are doing the best they can do in trying to navigate through the ever-changing mandates regarding masking and virtual vs. in-person schooling, and who daily face the onslaught of criticism regarding whichever policy they pursue. They personally are experiencing the hurtful effects of criticism.

Regardless of our position in life, there will always be times when we face criticism, and how we deal with it is important. There's a fabled story about the famous 19th century preacher, Phillips Brooks, and how he dealt with criticism. One day Brooks received a letter in the mail. Opening it, he found a clean sheet of paper with only one word written on it: "Fool"! 

The next Sunday, Brooks carried a letter into his pulpit in Boston. Holding it up, he announced, "I have received many letters from people who wrote letters but forgot to sign their name. However, this is the first time I received a letter from someone who signed his name and forgot to write his letter.” Now that is one way of dealing with criticism, but I don't recommend it not unless you are very secure in your position, or you are already looking for a new job.

When I think of dealing with criticism, I'm reminded of the words of Jesus who said not, if men revile you, but said, “when they revile you and yes even persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely, on account of me, rejoice, and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.” (Matthew 5:10 -12) 

One of the signs that a person is living a high quality of Christian life is the criticism they receive. The more dedicated the person is, the more intense the criticism will often be. 

We must remind ourselves that there has never been a monument erected to critics, and like the poor, they will always be with us, so we had best learn how to deal with them.

Abraham Lincoln might have broken under the strain of the Civil War if he hadn't learned the folly of trying to answer all his critics who were so quick to condemn his handling of the War.  His response to criticism is classic. He said, "If I were to try to read, much less to answer all the attacks made on me, the shop might as well be closed for any other business. I do the very best I know how- the very best I can; And I mean to keep on doing so until the end. If the end brings me out all right, then what is said against me won't matter. If the end brings me out wrong, then 10 angels swearing I was right would make no difference."

Sometimes it is simply best to remain silent when criticized. Jesus remained silent in the face of the accusations made against him by the chief priest and other Jewish leaders who were demanding answers to their charges (Matthew 27:12-14). 

Like Jesus there are times when the wisest thing we can do is to remain silent in the face of criticism and false accusations. Just keep your mouth closed and listen. Don't speak or try to defend yourself. Don't point the finger of blame in some other direction. Just remain quiet in the face of the one who would criticize you, and in so doing you may become that bright and shining star that this dark world so desperately needs to see.

Yes, I know all that what I am saying is much easier said than done, but keep in mind that you have a force and power within you that enables you to say, "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" (Philippians 4:13).  Give it to God in prayer and let Him deal with it. He is much better equipped to fight those kinds of battles than we are. 

It was Henry Ironside, a well-known preacher of the last century, who said in facing criticism. "If what they are saying about you is true, mend your ways. If it isn't true, forget it and go on and serve the Lord."

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment