Thursday, June 16, 2022

Leadership Thought: The Day Jean Asked Me to Walk Away from My Best Friends.

Dear Friends, 

Tucked away in the Apostle Paul’s closing remarks to Timothy is a verse that is easy to miss. Paul writes, “When you come, bring the cloak that I left with Carpus at Troas, and my scrolls, especially the parchments (2 Timothy 4:13).

Scholars suggest that the parchments may have been part of the Old Testament. In any event, this got me to thinking about the importance of good books and what friends they have been to me over the years of my ministry.

Some of my friends have been sitting on my shelves for over 50 years, but like the Word, there some things that never grow old.

I still remember that note that Jean left on top of an old cardboard box in my office when we were leaving Fort Lauderdale to come north. It said, “Sort out the most important 100 books and put them in the box and give the rest away.” Those words struck terror in my heart. Get rid of my friends. Send them packing. “No, no, no, I can’t do it,” I cried.

The retirement part didn’t work out any better than her efforts to ditch my friends. Most all of them traveled north with me and found residence on a new set of shelves that take up most of my office space in Middletown, N.J.

Only a lover of books can understand and appreciate how difficult it is to give your books away. Maybe I am just selfish, for I know my library takes up considerable room in my office, and now in our apartment, but you can’t just walk away from your friends.

Long ago I copied a quote from Mark Twain who said, “The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read at all.” That caught my attention the first time I read it, and it still resonates with me today.

It is true that leaders are readers and the more you read the better leader you will become.

A.W. Tozer was wise when he wrote, “The things you read will fashion you by slowly conditioning your mind.” And how true were his words.  

I confess that if there is any wisdom that ever comes from my mouth, it has probably come from someone I have read, and while I may not remember his or her name, their wisdom has permeated my mind and left its imprint on my thinking.

And the late Chuck Colson writes “Next to acquiring good friends, the best acquisition is that of a good book.” He was right.

If you are ever looking for a good small group question that will spark some good discussion, try this one: “If the notes and files of your reading were to be turned over to a detective-psychologist for character analysis, what would they conclude about you?”

In closing I have a quick question. Do any of you know any good 12 step programs for book hoarders like me?

Just asking.

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment