Wednesday, June 8, 2022

Leadership Thought: Does BUSY mean B-eing U-nder S-atan's Y-oke?

Dear Friends,

Does BUSY means B-eing U-nder S-atan’s Y-oke? That’s the question I ask myself this morning as I sit in front of my computer pondering what to write.

Yesterday was a blur. It started early in the morning at my computer hammering out a daily “Leadership Thought”-can’t even remember the topic. Then on to our weekly staff meeting, then to our U Turn for Christ weekly luncheon to meet with some guys struggling with addiction during which I shared a message on the importance of friendships in battling addiction. Then, it was on to a funeral home to visit one of our church family members who had lost his dad, followed by a trip back to church for “Recovery Life,” our weekly addiction ministry, only to leave early from the meeting because I had volunteered to umpire an annual “Rally Cap” baseball game where participants were special needs children. In between all of this activity. I found some time to send out a few e-mails and call some senior saints whom I had not talked within for too long. I fell into bed at 9:30 pm thinking, “Wow, it was just another jam packed and productive day in the life of a busy pastor. It may have been jam packed, but was it really productive?

This morning I woke up and in reflecting on yesterday’s busy and “productive” day, I realized in all my frenetic activity, I had missed the most important meeting of all-my time with the Lord.

Yes, it is easy to become so busy doing church work that we miss the most important work of the church-time spent in the Word. Yes, for me “the good had become the enemy of the best,” and yes, I confess I was BUSY, B-eing U-nder S-atan’s C-ontrol for in all my “productive” busyness I had neglected my most important work, spending time alone at His feet.”

The great man of God, George Mueller, after having read the Bible through 100 times with increasing delight, made this statement: “I look upon it as a lost day when I have not had a good time over the Word of God. Friends often say, ‘I have so much to do, so many people to see, I cannot find time for scripture study.’”

“Perhaps there are not many who have more to do than I. For more than half a century, I have never known one day when I had not more business than I could get through. For 4 years I have had annually about 30,000 letters, and most of them have passed through my own hands. Then, as pastor of a church with 1,200 believers, great has been my care. Besides, I have had charge of five immense orphanages; also, at my publishing depot, the printing and circulating of millions of tracts, books, and bibles; but I have always made it the rule never to begin day until I've had a good season with God in his Word. The blessing I have received has been wonderful.”

Ouch! I read those words and thought of Paul’s words to his good friend in the faith, Timothy: “Work hard so God can say to you, well done. Be a good workman, one who does not need to be ashamed when God examines your work. Know what his Word says and means” (2 Timothy 2: 15).

Because God will examine what kind of workers we have been, we must always be careful to build our lives on the foundation of the Word, so that we can build his Word into our lives. It is in the Word that we find revealed the lessons of life that God desires us to learn if we are to faithfully serve him. If we ignore the regular reading of his Word, and we avoid any diligent study of the Word, we are told that we will be ashamed at the judgment.

What believer would want that to happen? Consistent and conscientious study of the word is vital, lest we be lulled into neglecting God and our true purpose for living.

And not only will the reading of his Word save you from being ashamed on that day when you stand before Him, but it will provide you the resources to live life victoriously in this world of “here and now,” for as Christian Johnson once wrote, “A Bible that is falling apart probably belong to someone who isn't.”

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

P.S. "Seek the Lord while He may be found; call on Him while He is near." Isaiah 55:6 Don't be a Martha, always fussing over dishes while Mary sits at his feet and does the better service!

No comments:

Post a Comment