Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Leadership Thought: Who Says Christians Have It All Together?

Dear Friends,

The late great preacher Charles Spurgeon once said "Fellowship is knowing and being known. It is a natural sharing of our inner identities."

God wills that we should know each other. Why is that true? Because there’s a broken heart in every pew. We all have needs, and God calls us to be available to respond to one another's needs.

We really do need each other. There will be times when I have a happy heart and out of the fullness of my joy, I will minister to the one with a heavy heart. However, there will also be times when I have a heavy heart and my brother or sister will minister to me out of the fullness of their happy heart.

Paul tells we are "to bear one another's burdens and so fulfill the law of Christ" (Galatians 6:2).

It is not always comfortable to admit our needs to one another, but honesty and transparency is needed for relationships to grow.

A few years I talked with a friend who told me how uncomfortable she was when we broke into small groups. The person indicated that all she wanted to hear the word, and she didn’t like breaking into groups where people would share their needs with one another. You may feel the same way.

And while I understand the heart behind such sentiments, I don’t agree with this kind of thinking as it is not completely scriptural. As believers we are exhorted to "pray for one another," but how can I pray for you, and how can you pray for me, if we don’t know the needs that we carry in our hearts . Relationships grow in the climate of honesty, and this may mean that you and I have to be open and vulnerable. It may mean we have to get out of our comfort zones.

I am reminded of a well known who headed up a large Presbyterian Church in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. His name was Bruce Thielman, and he has since gone home to be with the Lord. I will never forget the story he told at a pastor's conference.

He related how when he was a bachelor fresh out of seminary and serving his first church in Glendale California, he was lonely and needed someone with whom to talk. He did everything in his power to find fellowship with some other pastors in his area. He called one after another, and when he would suggest getting together for lunch, the pastors would look at their appointment books and reply "I can give you some time in a couple of weeks." All the pastors he called were just too busy to meet right away. Finally, out of desperation, he called one guy and said, "Lookhave got to talk with somebody, and I have to talk right now." 

The other guy was quiet, hesitating to immediately respond, and then he finally said, "All right, I can meet, and so they met at a restaurant and Bruce poured out his heart to the pastor, sharing the deep pain of his loneliness.

The pastor listened and then responded, "Bruce the reason I was hesitant to say yes to having lunch with you when you called the other day was because last night I came home and found my wife in the arms of another man." And the two of them just sat there in that restaurant holding hands as they poured out their tears before one another. 

Where do we ever get the idea that Christians have it all together? That is a lie straight from the pit of hell. If anyone should know that we don’t have it all together and that we are sinners and yet sinners saved by the grace of God, it should be us. We should be numbered among those who can be honest enough to face and admit our needs, and our failures because we know that we have a brother or sister who loves us and will pray for us.

One of the most subtle sins of all is the idea that we don’t need each other. I need you and you need me and together we are called to serve one another. Yes, such ministry can be painful, and at times embarrassing, but the only way we can thrive and survive as believers is for us to be available for one another and for our communication to be honest, open and transparent. Yes, we need each other, we really do!

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom


No comments:

Post a Comment