Friday, November 25, 2022

Leadership Thought: A Personal Thanks to Those of You Who Have Changed My Life.

Dear Friend,

As I sit with in front of my computer and the morning light begins to stream through my window, I am overwhelmed with gratitude for the life God has given me.

I read a greeting from my son's college football coach and pondered his closing admonition: "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.” from Dr. Seuss. I was grateful for this reminder.

How blessed I am for the countless friends I enjoy who have brought smiles to my face and joy to my heart. I count them among my greatest blessings.

Just yesterday I sat with one of those dear friends for breakfast. We were enjoying our time together when something he said suddenly touched my heart, and I began to weep uncontrollably. However, at that moment I felt no embarrassment because I knew I was with a friend who would understand.

Laughter and tears are qualities that only true friends can enjoy together.

As I reflect on that that breakfast, I am filled with gratitude for the countless friends I have enjoyed who have touched and blessed my life, and those of you receiving this greeting-you are counted among them.

In 50 years of ministry, coaching, teaching, and writing, I have accumulated many kinds of friends, and each one of them has impacted me in uniquely different ways. Every friend is a precious and treasured commodity in my bank of memories, and if you're reading this you included in that bank of memories, and I say thanks.

Someone said, "Old age is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes," and I can attest to that.

There is still so much I still want to accomplish before that roll reaches it; end, and that is what gets me up every morning and fills me with anticipation and excitement, and so today I look forward to the ways my life will be different because of the things I will have learned and the people I will have met.

So, I say thanks to you who are pastors, coaches, teachers, mentors, teammates, children, relatives and yes, readers who have encouraged me and blessed my life in so many ways. I am thankful for all of you, but most of all I am thankful for the One who has made it all possible, my Lord Jesus Christ and the salvation I enjoy and the peace I possess through faith in Him.

I wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving and again I say thanks for your friendship and the blessing you have been to Jean and I and our family.  We love you!

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment