Tuesday, November 22, 2022

Leadership Thought: When Was the Last Time You Heard Those Words “I Blew It, I’m Sorry and I Apologize?”

Dear Friends,

Last night I heard words I hadn’t heard for a long time. On a zoom call during our umpire association trustee meeting, I heard one of our leaders admit “I blew it,” “I screwed up,” “It’s my fault and I’m sorry and I apologize to all of you.”

How refreshing to hear someone acknowledging a mistake and take responsibility for it.

When was the last time you heard a politician echo those words: “I was wrong” I made a mistake and I apologize.”

If you did, it was probably because he/she got caught doing something wrong, and was now trying to do damage control  rather than openly and honestly admitting the mistake and without excuse taking full responsibility for it

Simply put, when “we mess up we need to fess up.”

The more you do in life, the more you will fail, but the more you fail, the more you can learn if you are anxious and willing to admit those mistakes and learn from them.

Be honest and “don’t chase you mistakes.” Admit them, realize we all make them, and then move on.

People will appreciate and learn from your example. They will respect you and you will build greater trust with them when they see you are honest and open about your mistakes.  Honestly, transparency and vulnerability should be key words in every leader’s vocabulary.

Rather than losing respect for someone who makes a mistake, I gain respect for that person who openly acknowledges it.

Believers should be  aware of the importance of acknowledging our mistakes for as the apostle Peter writes “we are to “Confess (our) faults one to another, and pray one for another, that (we) may be healed.” James 5:16.

So, whether in the office, at home, or in church, be reminded of the value of honesty, transparency, and vulnerability in addressing your failures and mistakes.

And when do make one, admit it and take ownership of it. Humble yourself and acknowledge your mistakes and move on with your life. “Be humble and you won’t stumble.”

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

P.S. General Peyton C. March wrote: “Any man worth his salt will stick up for what he believes right, but it takes a slightly better man to acknowledge instantly and without reservation that he is in error.” Quote taken from the internet

No comments:

Post a Comment