Thursday, February 23, 2023

Leadership Thought: Finding Love in a Urologist's Office.

Dear Friends,

“Is Stacy here?” I asked as I sat in front of the receptionist at the doctor’s office. 

I had just arrived for my doctor’s appointment- real early-six days early in fact- as I soon discovered when the receptionist checked the appointment schedule and told me my appointment was next week.

She laughed as I told her I always tried to be early for my doctor’s appointments,  but perhaps arriving almost a week early was a little extreme.

I then asked her if Stacy was here, and she asked why I wanted to see Stacy.

I told her she was so kind on the phone with me when I called a few weeks before to ask a question of my doctor.

I guess grief is hard to hide, even on the phone, and in the course of my conversation with Stacy, she recognized an opportunity to show love to a heavy heart.

I told her about my wife who was recently placed on hospice, and she responded in a way that revealed she cared. 

Suddenly our conversation changed, and instead of my asking the questions she began asking me the questions as she sought to care for my hurting heart.

A few days later Stacey took the time to call me to see how I was doing, and to let me know she was thinking of me.

The receptionist told me Stacy was in and that she would see if she was available. 

And while I was waiting for Stacey to arrive so I could personally  thank her for her kindness, the receptionist opened her desk drawer and pulled out one tiny Hersey kiss and handed it to me.

Grief has no timetable; it can erupt at any time and in the strangest of places, and sitting in front of the receptionist, I burst out in tears as I received her gracious gift. 

It wasn’t the gift that opened my tear ducts; it was the fact that she understood and cared for a sad and broken heart sitting outside her window.

Just then Stacy arrived. She had learned my wife Jean had just died and she saw my tears and immediately pulled me out of the waiting room, and there in the empty hall outside a doctor’s office, a woman whom I had only met over the phone embraced me in a wordless conversation I will never forget.

No, I didn’t see the doctor yesterday, but I didn’t care, for I knew I had received what I needed from a receptionist and a nurse who in the kindest of ways met a need greater than any doctor could ever provide.

As I walked out of the office with tears still streaming down my face, I turned and thanked the staff for their kindness and then I remarked, “If everyone were as kind and as caring as you were to me today, we could put an end to our nation’s bitter climate.”

Now I don’t know if either one of those women were Jesus followers, but I discovered yesterday that one kind word can teach more love of God than a thousand sermons.

“Kind words are short and easy to speak and their echoes are endless” (Mother Teresa), and even as I write this Leadership Thought this morning I still hear the echoes of their love.

Paul exhorts us to practice kindness in dealing with others. "Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience (Colossians 3:12-13).

Kindness is the language that everyone can understand, so let's speak it so no one ever needs a translator.          

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment