Thursday, July 23, 2020

Leadership Thought: A Bit of Advice I Gave to One of My Children.

Dear Friends,

I am writing this Leadership thought as  I am overlooking the crystal-clear waters of Lake Ontario as I sit on the  porch of our summer place in upstate New York. Yesterday I went fishing with my friends, and we had a great day catching smallmouths while casting Little Cleo's, Mepps' spinners,  and plastic yellow tipped worms (only small mouth’ bassers’ can appreciate these lure references) into the refreshing waters of Lake Ontario. This morning at 5:00 a.m. I was again on the lake with another friend, my next-door neighbor, watching the sun come up  while doing the fishing 'thing' all over again. Yes, life is good on the lake, No Leadership Thought yesterday-too busy enjoying the company of my friends on the water, and late today because once again fishing took precedent. I sure wish you all could be with Jean and I as we enjoy family and friends in beautiful White's Bay here in northern New York. Even if you hate fishing,  I know you would love the area. 

I have received a number of responses to my Leadership Thoughts the past couple of weeks, and if you haven’t received an immediate answer, it is only because all the above summer activities have limited my time at the computer keyboard.
A few years ago, I was asked by one of my children "if I could give a young person any bit of advice, what would it be." I e-mailed back my one-word answer-“integrity.” The one best bit of advice I could offer anyone (other than to know Jesus personally) would be to always be a person of integrity.

The world is looking for people who will say what they mean and meant what they say, whose yes is a yes, and whose no is a no.
Ted Engstrom wrote a wonderful book I read many years ago, simply called- Integrity. In it he defines integrity as follows. “It is keeping our promises….doing what we said we would do….choosing to be accountable, and taking the motto, ‘semper fidelis’, the promise to always be faithful” (Forward to the book, Integrity)

The late Lloyd George Patterson, who was the historian at Episcopal Divinity School, was once asked how he accounted for the endurance of the early church, when so many of the tools of communication we associate with growth either did not exist or could not be used in a hostile environment-they couldn’t even have church buildings, let alone clever PR programs. He responded by saying that,  “The early Christian communities were characterized by unusual integrity, and some people were attracted to that.” (Taken from HomileticsOnline.com).Simply put this historian was saying “they walked what they talked.” There was a consistency between their belief and behavior, their creed and their conduct, their life and their lips.

Jesus was like that. His life was marked by consistency. If he told his disciples to do something, you could be sure He did it Himself. He taught His disciples to take up their cross and follow Him and He did that, even at the cost of His own death. And of Him, the scriptures tell us, “Christ pleased not himself" (Romans 15:3), ande taught that whoever would be grewat must become az servant, and he said, “I am among you asw He that serves (Luke 22”7 He taught that "whoever would be great must become a servant," and He said, “I am among you as he that serves (Luke 22:7). He encouraged His disciples to pray in secret, and we see Him retreating to the mountains to be alone with His Father. In short, Jesus practiced what he preached, and so did the early church. That is why they were so attractive to the unbelieving world.

If you want to be a leader today,  one who is followed and respected, you must have integrity. Former president Dwight Eisenhower called it “the supreme quality for a leader. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office. If a man’s associates find him guilty of phoniness; if they find that he lacks forthright integrity, he will fail. His teachings and actions must square with each other. The first great need, therefore, is integrity and high purpose." ( p. 106, The Right to Lead, John Maxwell.

If you want a great lesson on this subject, let me encourage you to google “poem, The Guy in the Glass” (sorry ladies as it could just as easily have been “Girl in the Glass.” I hope each one of you will take a moment to read this poem, and if you do, let me know what you think.

Yours in faith and friendship,
Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment