Monday, March 15, 2021

Leadership Thought: A Birthday Party I Will Never Forget-or Have You Ever Been Embarrassed by the Gifts You Have Given?

Dear Friends,

Thoughtfulness is a wonderful quality to possess. According to one dictionary definition it is simply “the consideration for the needs of other people.”

Thoughtfulness means “spending time putting yourself in other people's shoes. It means considering what is in the best interest of others. It means putting thought into what can make others feel good. Thoughtfulness involves focusing on caring for others through your words and actions” (From the Internet).

Some people just seem to possess the quality of thoughtfulness in full measure. They just show up at the right time, say the right words, offer the right help, share the perfect gift. Thoughtfulness is a gift that seems to come naturally to some people.

In celebrating a recent birthday. I was blessed to be the beneficiary of our team’s  thoughtfulness. The team thoughtfully chose to celebrate my birthday at my favorite Chinese restaurant. Someone thoughtfully picked out some balloons to decorate the table, and they all chose especially  thoughtful gifts. Nothing lavish for thoughtfulness is never expensive. A simple card with a chocolate candy bar with an accompanying encouraging note of gratitude, an autobiography, “My House of Memories” by the late Merle Haggard, my favorite country singer, and a tribute CD of country stars honoring Merle with the singing of many of his hits. And accompanying the book and CD was a tribute shirt of that concert with the names of all those country singers who performed at the concert.

I received another book,  A Leader’s Heart, a 365 Day Devotional Journal by John Maxwell, one of my favorite writers. And then came a face mask with the emblem of my favorite team, the Cleveland Indians. And then to cap it off there was the surprise gift of all, an artfully handcrafted ice cream cake made by one of our team. Knowing my love for Aldi’s Grocery Store and aware of two of my favorite Aldi’s ice cream flavors, “Thank You Cherry, Cherry Much” and “Make Fudge Not War,” he had mixed the flavors together into a cake that was covered with whipped cream, to produce and ice cream cake that rivaled anything that Carvel could ever  create.

Nothing lavish, but ‘expensively’ thoughtful were those gifts for each one of them screamed "I cared enough to choose a special gift that I thought would touch your heart."

I wish I could be as thoughtful as some of my staff, but I am not. Too often have been the times I have rushed to Walgreens in the middle of the night to pick up a some balloons, a card and some Jean Nate perfume  (my go to birthday/anniversary gift) to be packaged with a previously purchased Outback gift card to be presented to Jean on some special occasion. Shame on me for not putting more time and thought into my gifts.

My staff taught me a great lesson in thoughtfulness last week, and it is a lesson that I hope I will never forget. They taught me that thoughtfulness doesn’t cost a lot, just a heart prompted by love, and coupled with a little  time and effort-all  designed to bring joy to the heart of another person.

Mary Martin speaks to me when she writes, let’s “stop the habit of wishful thinking and start the habit of thoughtful wishes.”

Yours in faith and friendship,

Tom

No comments:

Post a Comment